1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Transform

1. Jan 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to find the fourier transform of v(t)=A*e(-t) such that t≥0.

2. Relevant equations
    ∫v(t)*e(-j*2*∏*f*t)dt,t,0,∞)

3. The attempt at a solution

∫v(t)*e(-j*2*∏*f*t)dt,t,0,∞)=A/(4*f2*∏2+1)-i*(2*A*f*∏)/(4*f2*∏2+1)

the answer should be A/(1+i*2*∏*f). It seems like this problem should be straight forward so I'm wondering if I'm just missing an identity of some sort or something? This is actually only one part of the problem but I know how to get the rest of the answer once I get this part done.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2012 #2
    Ok so I realize these are the same answer, but how do I simplify complex numbers like the one I got in my answer? I've been trying to multiply it by the complex conjugate but haven't been getting much luck :/

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  4. Jan 29, 2012 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Combine the two terms and then factor the denominator.

5. Jan 29, 2012 #4
    I've combined the two equations to get: (A-j*2*A*f*∏)/(1+4*f2*∏2) but it doesn't seem that the denominator can be factored at all. I can factor the numerator to get A*(1-j*2*f*∏)/(1+4*f2*∏2) but that doesn't seem to help me much yet.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  6. Jan 29, 2012 #5
    Oh I got it now

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook