Understanding Fourier Transform: Solving Homework with Clear Steps

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of integrating over an even interval of an odd function, which results in a zero value. The example given involves the function \frac{\sin(\alpha) \sin(\alpha x)}{\alpha}, which is shown to be odd and therefore has a vanishing integral over an even support interval. The conversation also mentions the change in limits of integration and the factor of 2/pi in the resulting integral.
robertjford80

Homework Statement

Screenshot2012-06-12at23022AM.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand this step. It's got to be some sort of identity that I missed. I also don't understand why the limits of integration change.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's an easy way of seeing it:

Remember that the integral over an even interval of an odd function is zero
[tex]\int_{-L}^L f(x) dx = 0 [/tex]
if [itex] f(-x) = -f(x) [/itex].

You can see fairly easily that [itex] \frac{\sin(\alpha)}{\alpha} [/itex] is an even function and [itex] \sin(\alpha x) [/itex] is an odd function; therefore [itex] \frac{\sin(\alpha) \sin(\alpha x)}{\alpha} [/itex] is odd and it's integral vanishes over an even support interval.

ok, I understand what you mean, although it took me about 30 minutes to get it. I still understand why the limits of integration change. I also don't understand why 1/pi changes to 2/pi though I think it has something to with the change in the limits of integration.

For an even function f(-x) = f(x), you can show that [itex] \int_{-L}^L f(x) dx = 2 \int_0^L f(x) dx [/itex]

cool

1. What is a Fourier Transform?

A Fourier Transform is a mathematical tool used to decompose a function into its constituent frequencies. It converts a signal from its original domain (often time or space) to a representation in the frequency domain, where it can be analyzed more easily.

2. How does a Fourier Transform work?

A Fourier Transform works by breaking down a signal into its constituent frequencies using complex exponential functions. The transform calculates the amplitude and phase of each frequency component, resulting in a representation of the original signal in the frequency domain.

3. Why is understanding Fourier Transform important?

Understanding Fourier Transform is important because it is a fundamental tool used in many fields such as mathematics, physics, engineering, and signal processing. It allows us to analyze and manipulate signals and data in the frequency domain, providing valuable insights and applications in various industries.

4. How can I use Fourier Transform to solve homework problems?

To solve homework problems involving Fourier Transform, you need to have a solid understanding of the concept and its mathematical equations. You can use the steps outlined in a textbook or online resources to break down the problem into smaller, manageable steps and apply the appropriate equations to find the solution.

5. Are there any tips for better understanding Fourier Transform?

Some tips for better understanding Fourier Transform include practicing with different types of signals, using visual aids such as graphs and diagrams, and seeking help from experts or online resources. It is also essential to have a strong understanding of calculus and complex numbers, as they are integral to understanding Fourier Transform.