Fourier Transform: Limit in Infinity of Exponential Function

In summary, when calculating the Fourier transform with an exponential function with an imaginary exponent, the limit at infinity can be taken by breaking down the exponential function into two parts: one that is bounded and one that tends to 0. This results in the limit being equal to 0.
aaaa202
In calculating some basic Fourier transform I seem stumble on the proble that I don't know how to take the limit in infinity of an exponentialfunction with imaginary exponent. In the attached example it just seems to give zero but I don't know what asserts this property. I would have thought that it would yield something infinite since a cosine or sine does not go to zero at infinity. What is done to arrive at the attached result?

Attachments

• fourier transform.png
    fourier transform.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 380
Physics news on Phys.org
aaaa202 said:
In calculating some basic Fourier transform I seem stumble on the proble that I don't know how to take the limit in infinity of an exponentialfunction with imaginary exponent. In the attached example it just seems to give zero but I don't know what asserts this property. I would have thought that it would yield something infinite since a cosine or sine does not go to zero at infinity. What is done to arrive at the attached result?

Think of ##e^{(ik-a)x}## as equal to ##e^{ikx} \cdot e^{-ax}##. On the right hand side while ##e^{ikx}## is not really defined for when x tends to infinity, it is still bounded (because sine and cosine are bounded) and the term ##e^{-ax}## does tend to 0. So that the product tends to 0 and you get ##\lim _{x \to \infty}e^{(ik-a)x} =0##.

1. What is the Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function into its constituent frequencies. It is commonly used in signal processing and image analysis to analyze and manipulate the frequency components of a signal or image.

2. What is the limit at infinity of an exponential function?

The limit at infinity of an exponential function is always equal to zero. This means that as the input value of the function approaches infinity, the output value approaches zero. This is because the rate of growth of an exponential function decreases as the input value increases.

3. How is the Fourier Transform related to exponential functions?

The Fourier Transform of an exponential function is another exponential function. However, the exponential function in the Fourier Transform has a complex argument, which allows for the decomposition of the original function into its frequency components.

4. Can the Fourier Transform be applied to any function?

Technically, yes, the Fourier Transform can be applied to any function. However, the function must meet certain criteria in order for the transform to be well-defined and useful. For example, the function must be integrable and have a finite number of discontinuities.

5. What are some applications of the Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform has many applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. Some common applications include signal processing, image analysis, data compression, and solving differential equations.