1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Transform

1. Mar 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    See Attachment

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok so in a previous question I worked out fd = e-ipd*2*sinc(pa)/√(2∏), also worked out its fourier transform if that helps.

Now I really am stuck on the question, any guidance would be appreciated, I don't understand how the function fd is summed over from -N to N, like I say any help to just send me in the right direction would be great.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      19.8 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2013 #2
    The problem suggests that the function fd should be a function of x, but I don't see an x in your expression.

4. Mar 15, 2013 #3
    Well the original function was f(x) which was a function of x that I then fourier transformed with limits of x =-a to x=a, this replaced the x's with a's. fd(x) was then a slight variation of the original f(x) function, ultimately I ended up with said function where fd(x) = f(x - d) which transforms to e(-ipd)*f(p) where f(p) was the fourier transform of f(x).

5. Mar 16, 2013 #4
    I made an issue with the question, not sure how to edit. Anyway f_d(x) = 1/a when |x-d|< a. What I said in the 1st post is actually the fourier transform of this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted