DTFT of x(n)*(-1)^n: Effect & Transform Explained

In summary, multiplying a signal by ##(-1)^n## in the DTFT results in a phase shift of ##\pi## in the frequency domain, equivalent to shifting the signal's Fourier transform by ##\pi##. This is due to the ##2\pi##-periodicity of the DTFT.
bonildo
Whais is the effect of a multiplication by (-1)^n in the DTFT ??

In other words, what's is this transform : x(n)* (-1)^n ??

Physics news on Phys.org
If ##X(\omega) = \sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} x(n) e^{-i \omega n}##, then
$$\begin{align}
\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} x(n) (-1)^n e^{-i \omega n}
&= \sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} x(n) e^{-i \pi n} e^{-i \omega n} \\
&= \sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} x(n) e^{-i (\omega + \pi) n} \\
&= X(\omega + \pi)
\end{align}$$
Note that this is also equal to ##X(\omega - \pi)## due to the ##2\pi##-periodicity of the discrete-time Fourier transform.

1. What is the DTFT of x(n)*(-1)^n?

The DTFT (Discrete-Time Fourier Transform) of x(n)*(-1)^n is a mathematical operation that transforms a discrete-time signal x(n) that is multiplied by the alternating sequence (-1)^n into the frequency domain. This means that the resulting DTFT will show the frequency components present in the signal x(n) after it has been multiplied by (-1)^n.

2. What is the effect of multiplying a signal by (-1)^n?

The effect of multiplying a signal by (-1)^n is a phase inversion. This means that every other sample of the signal will be inverted or flipped in the opposite direction. For example, if the original signal had a positive amplitude, the sample after multiplication will have a negative amplitude.

3. How does the DTFT of x(n)*(-1)^n differ from the DTFT of x(n)?

The DTFT of x(n)*(-1)^n and the DTFT of x(n) will have the same frequency components, but the phase of each component will be inverted in the DTFT of x(n)*(-1)^n. This is due to the phase inversion caused by multiplying the signal by (-1)^n.

4. Can the DTFT of x(n)*(-1)^n be used to analyze signals?

Yes, the DTFT of x(n)*(-1)^n can be used to analyze signals in the frequency domain. It can be used to identify the frequency components present in the signal after it has been multiplied by (-1)^n. This can be useful in applications such as signal processing and filtering.

5. Is the DTFT of x(n)*(-1)^n reversible?

Yes, the DTFT of x(n)*(-1)^n is reversible. This means that the original signal x(n) can be recovered by performing an inverse DTFT on the DTFT of x(n)*(-1)^n. However, the recovered signal will have a phase inversion compared to the original signal due to the multiplication by (-1)^n.