1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Transform

1. Nov 10, 2015 #1
    Find the fourier series of :
    $$g(t)=\frac{t+4}{(t^2+8t+25)^2}$$

2. I have been trying to write the function to match the formula $$\mathcal{F} [\frac{1}{1+t^2}] = \pi e^{-\mid(\omega)\mid}$$

I have simplified the function to
    $$(t+4)(\frac{1}{9}(\frac{1}{1+\frac{(t+4)^2}{9}})^2)$$
    Cant really see where to go from here.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2015 #2
    Try doing a partial fraction decomposition on g.

4. Nov 10, 2015 #3
    I may be misleading you here but if you complete the square and then do a variable substitution you get what I would say is an easier problem.

5. Nov 10, 2015 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can write the Fourier transform as ##{\cal F}(g) (w) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-i w t} g(t) \, dt##, then apply integration by parts: ##\int u \, dv = uv - \int v \, du##, with ##u = e^{-iwt}## and ##dv = g(t) \, dt##. By a change-of-variables, the integral ##\int g\, dt## is do-able, and afterwards you will be left with a form in which your previous FT formula can now be used.

BTW: you are NOT doing Fourier series, you are doing the Fourier transform. These two concepts are very different and should never be mixed up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted