1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Transform

1. Dec 11, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2017-12-11_12-32-47.png

2. Relevant equations
    if x(t) --> X(W)
    then
    x(-t) --> X(-W)
    and
    x(t+a)-->ejwX(W)

3. The attempt at a solution
    upload_2017-12-11_12-33-14.png
    I'm getting right answer for 1st part. For second part book says right answer is C.
    Where am I wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2017 #2
    First you calculate x(t) by inverse fourier tansform then by substituting t=-t and t=-t-1 you will get the result

4. Dec 11, 2017 #3
    So as per rules
    if f(t)----> Fourier---> F(jw)
    then f(t-to) ----> estoF(jw)
    So then if there is now any more x(3(t-to)) then does the change reflect in esto also or is that a constant and only F(jw) becomes 1/|a| F(jw/a)?

5. Dec 12, 2017 #4
    This is what I tried for second part. But book answer is c

6. Dec 12, 2017 #5
    Yes you can apply this property. i told you in previous post to recheck ur answer by that method.

7. Dec 12, 2017 #6
    Thanks. But I dont know how to use inverse fourier method. What answer are you getting? B or C?
    It could be book answer is wrong.

I wanted to ask a doubt on fourier?
    If we have to use time shift property followed by time scaling property then does the exponential part also change?
    upload_2017-12-12_15-49-6.png
    I can't find any solved examples. In laplace there were a few unsolved examples but then my answer matched when I didn't consider e^(-Ts) as part of new F(S). As in the second circle drawn above.

Attached Files:

8. Dec 12, 2017 #7
    A
    Just multiply by e^-jw to the answer you got in previous problem.In only time shift exponential term come you can do it by simple integration

9. Dec 12, 2017 #8
    That gives answer but should it be e^-jw or e^(+jw)
    since x(-t-1) = x(-(t+1))
    So I'm not sure how to go ahead with this. Should it be +jw or -jw?

10. Dec 12, 2017 #9
    -Jw

11. Dec 12, 2017 #10
    In original post I've used time shift property first and then time scaling. Can u help me as to why i'm not getting right answer there? I've pasted pic.

12. Dec 12, 2017 #11
  13. Dec 12, 2017 #12
    You have done right but you choose option b and option b is not matching to you result may be in option c there is print mistake with minus sing in first term.

14. Dec 12, 2017 #13
    Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted