How Do I Determine the Fourier Transform of f(x) = sin(x)?

In summary, to determine the Fourier transform of f(x) = sin(x), pi/2 > x > -pi/2 ; 0 otherwise, you must first express f(x) as a complex exponential and then write down and solve the Fourier integral. Finally, you can replace the complex exponentials by simple trigonometric functions. Depending on the problem, you may need to take only the real part of the solution or use the entire solution. If the original problem has only real numbers, you can incorporate the "i" in the constants involved in the solution. The integral may result in a function with only an imaginary part, so it is important to check the obtained equation.
ZeroScope
Determine the Fourier transform of f(x) = sin (x), pi/2 > x > -pi/2 ; 0 otherwise

To do this,
i) express f(x) as a complex exponential,
ii) write down the Fourier integral,
iii) solve the integral, and
iv) replace the complex exponentials by simple trigonometric functions.

Attempt at answer

To start with i get stuck when deciding if i substitute the complex exponential term of sin (x);
see attachment

then substitute this into the Fourier integral and try and evaluate. I am not sure what to do from this point, presuming of course its correct up to this.

Attachments

• exposinterm.png
    exposinterm.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 509
Physics news on Phys.org
The formulas you give are correct, of course. After "replace the complex exponentials by simple trigonometric functions", can either, depending upon the problem, take only the real part of the solution (the way you set up the problem in the first place should make it clear if you should do that) or use the entire solution. If your original problem had only real numbers in its initial or boundary values, you should be able to "incorporate" the "i" in the constants involved in the general solution.

What I am having trouble with is, is solving the integral. I end up with an equation with a lot of fractions and exponentials.

Hello ZeroScope,

Sorry for this late reply, but can you show what you have obtained as integral?
My result is a function with only an imaginary part. I would like to check if this is the one you got.

What is Fourier transformation?

Fourier transformation is a mathematical tool used to decompose a function or signal into its constituent frequencies. It is named after the French mathematician Joseph Fourier and has many applications in various fields such as signal processing, image analysis, and data compression.

Why is Fourier transformation important?

Fourier transformation allows us to analyze complex signals and functions by breaking them down into simpler components. This helps in understanding the underlying structure and behavior of the signal and can also reveal hidden patterns or features. It is a fundamental concept in many fields of science and engineering.

How does Fourier transformation work?

The Fourier transform takes a function in the time or spatial domain and converts it into a function in the frequency domain. This is achieved by decomposing the function into a combination of sine and cosine waves with different frequencies and amplitudes. The inverse Fourier transform can then be used to convert the function back into the time or spatial domain.

What are some applications of Fourier transformation?

Fourier transformation has many practical applications in fields such as signal and image processing, audio and video compression, data analysis, and optics. It is used to filter out noise from signals, extract useful information from images, compress large datasets, and analyze the frequency content of various signals.

Are there any limitations to Fourier transformation?

Fourier transformation assumes that the function being analyzed is periodic and has a continuous spectrum of frequencies. This may not always be the case in real-world situations, such as when dealing with non-periodic signals or signals with discontinuities. In these cases, modified versions of Fourier transformation or other mathematical tools may be used.