1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier transformation

1. May 23, 2005 #1
    For an experiment about Holograms I have to find a couple of Fourier transformations. The one I'm having troubles with is the following:

Find the Fouriertransform of a rectangular wave:
    thus: f(x)=1 from (-5b,-3b), (-b,b) and (3b,5b) and (7b,9b) etc.
    and f(x) = -1 from (-3b,-b), (b,3b), (5b,7b) etc.

Could someone give me a hint?

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2005 #2
    I would do this by breaking it up into simpler pieces that you know the transforms of. Let your rectangular wave centered at zero be f(x), and say

f(x) = A(x) + B(x)

where A(x) is a the rectangular wave shifted up by one (so it goes from zero to two), and B(x) = -1. This helps because F(f(x)) = F(A(x)+B(x)) = F(A(x)) + F(B(x)), where F( ) is the Fourier transform. Now your rectangular wave is a train of boxes, which can also be thought of as a single box convolved with an impusle train, or A(x) = A1(x)[tex]\star[/tex]A2(x). And since convlolution in one domain is multiplication in the other, you now have

F(f(x)) = F( A1(x)[tex]\star[/tex]A2(x) ) + F(B(x)) = F(A1(x))F(A2(x)) + F(B(x))

Now you are left with all simple transforms, and it looks like you will end up with a sampled sinc function with an impulse somewhere.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?