1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Transformations

1. Mar 5, 2009 #1
    Can anyone explain the above-i've read about in books, internet sites and still do not understand what its doing or the maths.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2009 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try wikipedia. It can't be explained in a few sentences.

4. Mar 5, 2009 #3
    hmm, ive read that and although i understand the basic, i.e complicated function and representing with smaller functions with sin and cosine waves, the rest doesn't make sense no matter how many times I read it.

5. Mar 5, 2009 #4
    how old are you? what level mathematical maturity do you have?

6. Mar 5, 2009 #5
    Not really sure why it matters but im 21. hmmm not that much i guess?

7. Mar 5, 2009 #6
    you know anything about vectors? how you can express any vector as a sum of basis vectors?

8. Mar 5, 2009 #7
    hmmm cant say that I do, is that where I should start then?

9. Mar 5, 2009 #8
    what do you know then? why do you want to know about fourier transforms?

10. Mar 6, 2009 #9
    An intuitive explanation:
    I am sure you have seen one of these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectral_analyzer" [Broken] found on Hi-Fi's or digital audio players, that plot frequency vs. amplitude. They take the audio signal (amplitude/time), apply the (discrete) Fourier transform, and display the resulting function (amplitude/frequency).

To illustrate, take the function [tex]\cos(2\pi at)[/tex], which is a wave with frequency [tex]a[/tex]. Its Fourier transform is zero except for two "spikes" at [tex]-a[/tex] and [tex]a[/tex].

A more mathematical reason why the Fourier transform is important, is that it turns differentiation into multiplication, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier_Transform#Analysis_of_differential_equations", which is quite useful for solving some differential equations.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook