1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier transforms of smooth, compactly supported functions

1. May 31, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex] f, \hat{f} \in C_c^\infty(\mathbb{R}^n)[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex] \hat{f} = \int_{\mathbb{R}^n} f(x) e^{-2\pi i \xi \cdot x} \,dx [/tex]
    [tex] \check{f} = \int_{\mathbb{R}^n} \hat{f}(x) e^{2\pi i \xi \cdot x} \,d\xi [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

As [tex] C_c^\infty \subset \mathcal{S} [/tex] (the Schwarz space) we know that the Fourier transformation is invertible, and that
    [tex] f = (\hat{f})\check{} = (\check{f})\hat{} [/tex]
    in other words
    [tex] f =
    \int_{\mathbb{R}^n} \hat{f} e^{2 \pi i \xi \cdot x} \,d\xi
    = \int_{\mathbb{R}^n} \check{f} e^{-2 \pi i \xi \cdot x} \,dx [/tex]

Somehow these must be zero. I am familiar with the idea that the smoother f is, the faster its transform must decay at infinity; and vice versa. Since [tex]C^\infty, C_c[/tex] are the ultimate of both this must somehow indicate that the situation is "too good to be true" in a nontrivial way. But I do not know how to implement this. Advice?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?