1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier transforms

1. Mar 1, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For a visual of what I am talking about, please visit: http://webhost.etc.tuiasi.ro/cin/Downloads/Fourier/Fourier.html
    and scroll down to the "Examples of Fourier Transforms" part

I am ask to explain why the fourier transform on the rectangle function was similar to the fourier transform on the trangular function.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

so here what I think, and i'm not totally sure about it. The FT of a rectangular function is sin and rhe FT of the trangular function is a sin^2. The FT are similar because both functions are even, symetric, and always positive. The rectangular function is a constant function, which gives the sin, while the trangular function is a linear function, which gives the sin^2. Maybe a x^2 function with bounds will give a sin^3? not really sure about that. Is my reasoning correct for why the two FTs are similar?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2007 #2
    Can't you calculate the FT of x^2 function? it should be easy..
    define a function bx^2 between -a and a , and see what the FT would be..
  4. Mar 1, 2007 #3
    ok i did it, and it does show that it would be sin^3

know this, why is it that the higher the power, the larger n is for sin^n?
  5. Mar 1, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

First notice that the transform of a square pulse is sin(aw)/(aw) which is called sinc(aw). It is not the same as a simple sine.

To answer your question, here's a different approach--think in terms of convolutions. The convolution of a square pulse with itself is what? (It should be in your book.) Therefore what is the transform of the convolution?

As for x^2, how would you produce that with a convolution and what is its transform?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?