Fourier Transforms Homework: Solving for Pulse Amplitude, Intensity & FWHM

• Thread starter hasan_researc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fourier
In summary, the conversation discusses a single optical pulse with an amplitude described by a function. The first part of the conversation involves sketching the form of the pulse amplitude in time, while the second part asks for the expression for the intensity of the pulse. The third part asks for the expression for the full width at half maximum of the intensity of the pulse. The conversation also clarifies the meaning of modulus in the given function and suggests using Fourier transforms to solve for the intensity. Finally, it explains that the FWHM is the full width at half maximum.
hasan_researc

Homework Statement

A single optical pulse has an amplitude described by f(t) = Ae-a*mod(t),

where A and a are constants.

NB: a*mod(t) means the modulus of t multiplied by a.

(a) Sketch the form of the pulse amplitude in time.

(b) Find an expression for the intensity of the pulse I(t).

(c) Find an expression for the FWHM width of the intensity of the pulse.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) What is an optical pulse?

2) The amplitude is a function of time!?? As far as I am aware, the amplitude of any function/pulse is the maximum value the function can take over a period. Does this mean that the maximum value of the function over each period is falling? But then it should be a constant over each period, should it not?

Anyway, the first part is easy! (I hope:confused:) The function is an exponential on each side of the t-axis. The function falls off to 0 (from above) as t goes to positive or negative infinity. The maximum value A of the function is at t = 0. But should the graph not abruptly change its slope from positive to negative when passing through t = 0.

The intensity of the pulse is the square of the modulus of f(t). (Am I right?:confused:) So,
I(t) = A2e-2a*mod(t). What do you think?

I have no idea how to go about the third one. :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
Optical pulse: it is just light pulse or it can also be some electromagnetic pulse.
Modulus of t means |t|, i.e. a positive value.
(a): I guess you need to draw the function.
(b): You need to find the expression I(t). So no need the calculate the maximum amplitude (or the value of amplitude).
Clue: you mentioned 'Fourier transforms' in subject. Got idea?
(c) FWHM (= full width at half maximum) what is it ? If you are able to solve (b) then (c) is easy.
cheers.

What is a Fourier transform?

A Fourier transform is a mathematical tool used to decompose a function into its constituent frequencies. It converts a time-domain signal into a frequency-domain signal, allowing for analysis and manipulation of the signal in terms of its frequency components.

What is a pulse amplitude?

A pulse amplitude is the maximum value of a pulse or signal. It represents the strength or intensity of the signal at its peak.

What is intensity in the context of Fourier transforms?

In the context of Fourier transforms, intensity refers to the amount of energy or power carried by a signal at a particular frequency. It is often measured in units of watts or watts per square meter.

What is FWHM and how is it related to Fourier transforms?

FWHM (Full Width at Half Maximum) is a measure of the width of a pulse or signal at half of its maximum amplitude. In the context of Fourier transforms, FWHM is used to determine the bandwidth or range of frequencies present in a signal.

How do you solve for pulse amplitude, intensity, and FWHM using Fourier transforms?

To solve for pulse amplitude, intensity, and FWHM using Fourier transforms, you would first take the Fourier transform of the signal. Then, you can use the amplitude of the resulting transformed signal to determine the pulse amplitude. The intensity can be calculated by squaring the amplitude. To find the FWHM, you can locate the frequency at half of the maximum amplitude and use the corresponding frequency range to calculate the FWHM.