Fourier Series of x^2-1 on Interval [-pi,pi]: Coefficient of cos3x Calculation

• Thread starter aeroguy2008
  • Start date
In summary, Determine the fourierseries of the function f(x)=x^2−1, defined on the interval [-pi,pi]. What will the coefficient a/b be in front of the cos3x in the fourierseries?
aeroguy2008
Determine the fourierseries of the function

f(x)=x^2−1

defined on the interval [-pi,pi]. What will the coefficient a/b be in front of the cos3x in the fourierseries?

I am not sure how to start this solving this problem. Pls help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you use your formula for a_n and b_n. Did you try that?

I read that determining if the function is odd or even might be a good start.

True. So is this function even or odd or neither?

Its even if f(-x)=f(x) and odd if f(-x)=-x so in my case:

f(-x)=(-x)^2−1=x^2-1
so it must be even.

Hence I must use the cosine series on the interval -pi<x<pi. as

f(x) ~ a_0/2+ sum (n=1 to inf) a_n*cos((n*pi)/Pi)*x where:
a_0=2/pi*int(0 to pi) f(x)dx and
a_n=2/pi*int(0 to pi) f(x)cos(n*pi)/pi*x dx

But do I just start integrating from 0 to Pi to get a_0? Why not -Pi to Pi as indicated by the range of the problem? Is it because the integral will go to zero then?

Last edited:
It's an even integrand. The integral from -K to K is twice that of the integral from 0 to K.

There are 2 things here.

1) Can you use the formulae you've been given?
2) Do you understand the formulae you've been given?

If you focus on 2), then 1) becomes easier.

You could integrate from 0 to Pi, or from -Pi to Pi and take out the factor of 2. Since f(x) is even, it'll be the same either way.

matt grime said:
It's an even integrand. The integral from -K to K is twice that of the integral from 0 to K.

There are 2 things here.

1) Can you use the formulae you've been given?
2) Do you understand the formulae you've been given?

If you focus on 2), then 1) becomes easier.

Thanks. I did find this out. Since I integrated and what you guys are saying is surely correct.
But once I try to get a_n I end up with nasty partial integrations. I have to write back once I got my final results.

I have no idea what you mean by "partial integration". Basically you are integrating [itex](x^2- 1)cos(nx)[/itex]. That should be easy using integration by parts. Was that what you meant?

HallsofIvy said:
I have no idea what you mean by "partial integration". Basically you are integrating [itex](x^2- 1)cos(nx)[/itex]. That should be easy using integration by parts. Was that what you meant?

partial integration = IBP = integration by parts

So the whole problem is to integrate
[tex]\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} (x^2-1)cos(3x)dx[/tex]

That should be easy using integration by parts (twice).

Yes dirk_mec1 and HallsofIvy, I was wrong...I was thinking of integration by parts. I have used IBP to get the solution of the integrand you specified and my solution matched with the one I got from a computer software, as attached. I can see that the cos(3x) term appears in my solution but the coefficient of (2/9)Pi in front of the cos(3x) term is incorrect. This gives me reason to question what I am doing wrong. I do understand the procedure of this problem, but I am a little confused. Can you pls point me in the right direction?

Attachments

• math.gif
    math.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 454
nicksauce said:
You could integrate from 0 to Pi, or from -Pi to Pi and take out the factor of 2. Since f(x) is even, it'll be the same either way.

Thanks that was helpful.

aeroguy2008 said:
Yes dirk_mec1 and HallsofIvy, I was wrong...I was thinking of integration by parts. I have used IBP to get the solution of the integrand you specified and my solution matched with the one I got from a computer software, as attached. I can see that the cos(3x) term appears in my solution but the coefficient of (2/9)Pi in front of the cos(3x) term is incorrect. This gives me reason to question what I am doing wrong. I do understand the procedure of this problem, but I am a little confused. Can you pls point me in the right direction?

Well for now I'll assume your integration is correct, without checking it myself. The sin terms disappear because sin(0) = sin(n*pi) = 0. The x=0 boundary dissapears for the first term, because x=0, so for the whole integration, you have 2/9 * pi * cos(3pi) = -2pi/9. To get the a_3 term, you must multiply by 2/pi, giving you -4/9, not (2/9)Pi as you said.

Nick...thanks so much. What you said made perfect sense. I was disregarding the terms for n=3 and that's what I did wrong. So, now my answer is correct; a=-4 and b=9. Thus, This problem is solved:)

What is the Fourier series of X^2-1?

The Fourier series of X^2-1 is a mathematical representation of the function X^2-1 as a combination of sine and cosine functions. It is used to analyze and approximate periodic functions.

How is the Fourier series of X^2-1 calculated?

The Fourier series of X^2-1 is calculated using the Fourier coefficients, which are calculated by integrating the function over one period and then solving for the coefficients using the orthogonality property of sine and cosine functions.

What is the purpose of using the Fourier series of X^2-1?

The Fourier series of X^2-1 is used to analyze and approximate periodic functions, as well as to solve differential equations and boundary value problems. It also allows for the transformation of functions from the time domain to the frequency domain, making it useful in signal processing and data analysis.

What are the limitations of the Fourier series of X^2-1?

The Fourier series of X^2-1 can only be used for periodic functions, meaning it cannot accurately represent non-periodic functions. It also requires the function to be integrable and continuous, and may not converge for all values of x or for all types of functions.

How does the Fourier series of X^2-1 relate to other mathematical concepts?

The Fourier series of X^2-1 is closely related to other mathematical concepts such as Fourier transforms, complex analysis, and harmonic analysis. It also has applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics.