Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourth Dimension Question

1. Nov 19, 2013 #1
    I'm a little confused by extra dimensions. People seem to say different things about the 'extra dimensions. Everyone seems to say that there are 3 basic dimensions (width, height, depth), however some people say different things about what additional dimensions are, just wondered if someone can clear it up.

Is a fourth dimension time, and the fifth, sixth seventh etc. the different dimensions related to string theory, or are the extra dimensions more geometrical, such as this image:
    http://www.dimension1111.com/images/dimensions1.png

Or am I just getting completely muddled up?

Sorry if I didn't really explain it too well, I'm terrible at explaining myself lol, and sorry if it's in the wrong forum.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2013 #2
    The picture you've given shows projections of higher-dimensional figures. Yes, they are "geometrical" and look exactly like that. This is a stage in learning about higher dimensions, but don't get stuck with it. Keep learning.

4. Nov 19, 2013 #3
    We live in a 4D universe if you consider time as a dimension. According to special relativity there is no reason it can't be a dimension as well

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook