Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fox hunting

1. Sep 28, 2004 #1

wolram

Gold Member

I have lived in a rural environment from birth, but i could never condone
    hunting foxes with dogs, and have always thought that it is mainly an
    upper class sport?
    If the fox population has to be kept under control i know of several ways
    it can be done humanly and a lot cheaper than a hunt.
    But what do you think, on the negative side people will lose there jobs,
    incomes.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It's part and parcel of Britain's whimsical traditions and delightfully obscure history.
    It would be such a shame if Brits started acting rationally..:wink:

4. Sep 28, 2004 #3

Tsu

Gold Member

It saddens me to think that people enjoy terrorizing an animal just for sport.

Just out of curiosity, wolram - WHO would loose their jobs and income? Do they breed the foxes for hunts? If so, then yes, I guess the breeders would loose their jobs. But if they breed them for the hunts, why would the fox population need to be kept under control? I'm confused. :surprised:

DON'T SHOOT THE LITTLE FOXES!! :cry: (unless they're in the chicken house stealing your eggs! :biggrin: - Then - WASTE 'EM!! :biggrin:)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2004
  5. Sep 28, 2004 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Tsu, do you have any foxes on your property?

6. Sep 28, 2004 #5
    different animal population need to be kept under control and different point and times, especialy on a small island such as Great Britain, if there is too much of 1 species it can become a nuicents wether it be prey or predator, too many foxes means less food they have per day which means they would have to find other means of survival, like moving to the city, and no one wants that.

7. Sep 28, 2004 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think all hunting for sport is essentially...ummm...to put this delicately : barbaric.

It's a stupid, macho desire to feel superior to some poor, unarmed critters...or it's some aspect of human nature that eludes me...but that's a different matter.

<I need to practice my euphemisms.>

8. Sep 28, 2004 #7

Tsu

Gold Member

No, MIH. We don't have any foxes. (At least none that I have seen.) We do have a lot of cayotes, though. They seem to like sheep pretty well, and since we live in one of the world's largest grass fields, we also have a LOT of sheep around here!

IWIWS - I can understand the need for keeping fox populations down (we have the same problem with deer), but from what little I've seen of fox hunts, I thought they released the fox just before the hunt, so I've just assumed that they bred them specifically for hunting. Is this not true?

9. Sep 28, 2004 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Thank gods we Norwegians are so humane!
    1. We only hunt whales for scientific purposes (with just a bit of yummy meat getting to the stores)
    2. We kill seals by planting an axe in their heads, closing their tear-filled eyes forever
    3. And moose taste good as well..
    Aren't we a civilized nation? :smile:

10. Sep 28, 2004 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, better than clubbing baby seals to death, I guess....:yuck:

11. Sep 28, 2004 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Nowadays, we only axe them..

12. Sep 28, 2004 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I used to hunt American foxes [back when I was a wild and crazy guy] but Tsu took control of my gun.

13. Sep 28, 2004 #12

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Ouch! (am I reading too far into that?)
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

14. Sep 28, 2004 #13

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Actually, I paraphrased Morley Safer from memory..:redface:

15. Sep 28, 2004 #14

wolram

Gold Member

Tsunami
    No my friend foxes are not bred for the hunt, as with all wild life it is deemed that if
    considered a pest then it must be exterminated, but it is the method i question.

16. Sep 28, 2004 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To what exactly do you object; the dogs? If so, why? IIRC, we banned hunting something, I think wild cats [mountain lions] and bear, with dogs; here in Oregon, about ten years ago. I guess the dogs and the prey would often fight to the death before the guns ever arrived. Is this a similar situation?

17. Sep 28, 2004 #16

Ba

Why bother killing the little foxes, they really harmless if you're going to kill something, shoot some more deer. After all there are way too many of them and they cause more human deaths than any other animal in North America (car accidents mostly). Besides they eat everybodies gardens.

18. Sep 28, 2004 #17
    I live very close to the New Forest in England, and i dont think any hunts go on in the forest but the Fox population is booming around where i live. And they quite often rip open rubbish bags scavenging for food because their is too many of them around now. I dont like the idea of poor little foxy getting ripped apart, but once the hounds get him it is a quick death. I would like to hear of the more humane methods of killing culling the fox population, rifles can be very innacurate and i have recently found a fox struggling with its life with what was a gunshot wound through its stomach, yet it didnt die and it had probably been there for quite a while, a guess im saying that the hounds dont wound the foxes they kill them very quickly but the bullet isnt always accurate and can lead to a very distressing death.

Oh and its the Hounds that a bred for the hunt im assuming alot of horses are only ever used for the hunt aswell.

19. Sep 28, 2004 #18
    Oh and i called out the RSPCA to deal with the fox. Im assuming the would have put him to sleep.

20. Sep 28, 2004 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Aside from hunting [guns] or poisoning, or starvation due to overpopulation, natural predators seem the only other option. Dogs make good predators. :uhh:

21. Sep 28, 2004 #20

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In a fox hunt, isn't there some kind of custom of putting the rabbit's blood on the winner's face when it's over? I always thought that was a particularly barbaric tradition.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?