Does Fox News live up to the slogan Fair and balanced?

• News
  • Thread starter Char. Limit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    News
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of whether Fox News truly lives up to its slogan of being "Fair and balanced." Some believe that Fox News is biased and caters to a certain audience, while others argue that their existence ensures free speech. Journalism is supposed to be objective and neutral, but many news networks, including Fox News, make the mistake of presenting their own opinions. The conversation also brings up a study by the Center for Media and Public Affairs, which found that Fox News was not the most accurate in their reporting. It is mentioned that S. Robert Lichter, the editor, is a paid consultant for Fox News. The conversation also suggests looking at other news networks, such as

Does Fox News live up to the slogan, "Fair and balanced"?

• Yes

Votes: 8 9.3%
  • No

Votes: 58 67.4%
  • In some ways/areas

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Ivan Seeking said:
I don't watch MSNBC but apparently most everyone on Wall Street does - according to people from the stock exchange floor who were interviewed on the Frontline documentary about the meltdown [linked in a couple of threads here]. MSNBC was described as being pervasive on Wall Street. So while it may be that MSNBC is hard left, and I don't know that to be true, they are allegedly also respected as THE news channel for matters of money.

I don't know one person who does watch MSNBC for their so-called hard left stance. In fact, the only person that I know who says he watches it regularly is a hard righty that is heavily into investments.

On the other hand, I can often cite the talking points from Rush and Fox that day based on the irrational rants from hard righties.

I would like to know what bias towards Bush was promoted by CNN. The only anchor that I like on CNN is the Wolfman, so maybe I just don't see it, but I definitely don't see Blitzer promoting nonsense like that coming from Fox or Rush. I do note that other anchors on CNN, like Kira Phillips, can't keep their opinions to themself. And I have caught Phillips misreprenting the views of guests in order to get her shots in, which, btw, are usually right-leaning. In fact, she is the only anchor I have ever emailed to complain about biased reporting. One day she completely distorted the opinions of a guest who was still sitting there! My guess would be that she is a Conservative Catholic.

CNN's morning guy is a yutz and Rick Sanchez is an idiot [really, just all fluff]. I give you that.

Please label this post as your opinion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cod said:
The lack of "fair and balanced" is apparent in all US media outlets. For any non-bias take on politics, news, etc., you have to branch out to a lot of the world news agencies. I will, however, give CNN a little props because of their sister network CNN International. Personally, I tend to drift towards Al-Jazeera and BBC for my news.

quite so, go to MSNBC and we hear glorification of the left, go to Fox news and we hear all-praises for the right.

Ivan Seeking said:
I don't watch ... and I don't know that to be true...I don't know one person ... In fact, the only person that I know who ... I would like to know... that I like on CNN ... so maybe I just don't see it, but I definitely don't see ... I do note that ... And I have caught ... My guess would be that ...

WhoWee said:
Please label this post as your opinion.
Aren't all those labels in the post making it sufficiently clear that he is expressing his opinion?

The "press" reflects the desires of the owners of the press. No big surprise there.

Gokul43201 said:
Aren't all those labels in the post making it sufficiently clear that he is expressing his opinion?

I should have typed it this way..."Please label THIS post as your opinion." If you want to know why...read all of his posts.

i had a sudden realization today. based on Beck's self-reported history, the way he behaves, and the amount of bodyfat he carries, i think he's suffering from alcoholic hypogonadism. before, i thought it was just some kind of crazy, as he seems emotionally unstable, but now I'm thinking it's the estrogen roller-coaster.

Olbermann still eludes me.