News Fox News

Does Fox News live up to the slogan, "Fair and balanced"?

• Yes

Votes: 8 9.3%
  • No

Votes: 58 67.4%
  • In some ways/areas

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
D

drankin

I think a blatant bias is better than a subtle one.

Before Fox News Channel came around, the conservative voice was largely muffled. Fox is obviously biased, but that makes up for the liberal 24 hour stations and keeps the news "fair and balanced" if you watch all stations.

The closest I have seen to a network that just reports the news without spinning stories is BBC world news, but that is not a 24 hour network.

I'm guessing this slogan applied some time before I was born. With O'Reilly, Hannity, Beck, and the rest, we know how the scales are weighted. (by the way, I despise those 3 people)

Char. Limit

Gold Member
Don't forget Greta Van Susteren and Ann Coulter.

Come now, Jamin, let us not be sexist in our hate.

LURCH

Science Advisor
I'm guessing this slogan applied some time before I was born. With O'Reilly, Hannity, Beck, and the rest, we know how the scales are weighted. (by the way, I despise those 3 people)
These three are not reporters, nor do they claim to be. Their shows are opinion shows, not news programs. They say this themselves, from time to time. They do speek to the bias of the station, but are not part of the station's news coverage, for whatever that's worth.

D

drankin

Yeah, I despise them too. I prefer Savage, Lavigne, & Ingraham. They aren't Fox.

S

Skyhunter

Before Fox News Channel came around, the conservative voice was largely muffled.
Really?

You mean that FOX news is the conservative voice?

No wonder the Tea Baggers are more popular than the Republicans.

Dembadon

Gold Member
In my opinion, Fox News is the worst news program in existence.

Edit: The facts aren't always fair and/or balanced. I don't need a report to be fair, I need it to be true.

True disappeared with Walter Cronkite. :mad:

No wonder the Tea Baggers are more popular than the Republicans.
Please don't use that term to describe people who are just in general concerned about the growth of government and spending under this administration.

In my opinion, Fox News is the worst news program in existence.

Edit: The facts aren't always fair and/or balanced. I don't need a report to be fair, I need it to be true.
Well if it was not for Fox, we probably never would have found out about the whole Reverand Wright issue with Barack Obama except maybe for those who listen to talk radio or check things on the Internet. The rest of the media were completely ignoring it and were going to cover it up. Fox occassionally makes mistakes like all the news organizations, but it serves as a nice balance I think.

As for "fair and balanced," well for news to be fair, that's because there's a lot of debate over just what the facts are on quite a few subjects. For example, big debates on this very website go on about the legitimacy of climate change. Both sides cite facts, and there is still lots of disagreement.

So what is a news reporter to do? Get people from both sides of the issue and get their views and present them, and let the viewer make their own decision.

Char. Limit

Gold Member
Er... What Reverend Wright issue? The one where Glenn Beck tried to paint Obama as a terrorist for having a somewhat foolish and inflammatory preacher?

Considering how foolish and inflammatory Glenn Beck can be, I suppose this means that all conservatives are terrorists.

Judge not a man by the company he keeps.

Note: Who kept connecting Obama to a radical from 40 years ago, when Obama was a little kid? After answering that question, tell me who the real character assassin is.

Finally, if Tea Baggers isn't acceptable (and I don't care if it isn't, I'll use it anyway), how about "Guy Fawkers"?

mheslep

Gold Member
Finally, if Tea Baggers isn't acceptable (and I don't care if it isn't, I'll use it anyway), how about "Guy Fawkers"?
You don't care if you're being intentionally inflammatory?

Char. Limit

Gold Member
You don't care if you're being intentionally inflammatory?
I like how you ignore my real content and hit on the one sarcastic comment in my post.

I'm anti-PC in all forms. I'm inflammatory because I don't think others can tell me not to be. So yes, I am intentionally inflammatory.

russ_watters

Mentor
I know some people who can force you not to be inflammatory....

....this thread is riding the edge right now.

Char. Limit

Gold Member
On this forum, yes.

But not in public, where my first amendment rights apply.

I haven't seen that phrase, "riding the edge" before. Prithee, could you explain it to me?

russ_watters

Mentor
Pushing the limits of what is acceptable here.

Char. Limit

Gold Member
I see.

I'll shut up (read: moderate my tone) now.

S

Skyhunter

Please don't use that term to describe people who are just in general concerned about the growth of government and spending under this administration.
I was specifically referring to those who label themselves such.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Did anyone catch Roger Ailes, CEO of Fox News, on ABC's This Week? There are two or three parts to the roundtable discussion.
http://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/video/roundtable-scott-brown-republican-9710855

Seating Ailes with someone like Krugman strikes me a bit like sitting Larry Flint next to Einstein, but it was interesting. I don't know that this reflects well on ABC and their choice of guests, but one appearance is fair play, I guess. Krugman didn't look very happy.

When Huffington asked Ailes why he cut away from the meeting between Obama and the House Republicans, he responded "Because we are the most trusted news source on television!" or some ridiculous and non-applicable response close to that. Within the context of responsible reporting and providing reliable news and information, when asked why he allows someone like Glenn Beck to run his circus show every day, Ailes said that it is all about ratings, and they're [Fox is] winning. So, apparently he has no interest in credibility. What a yutz!

Last edited:

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Fox occassionally makes mistakes like all the news organizations, but it serves as a nice balance I think.
You'd be close if you replace 'occasionally' with 'regularly', 'makes mistakes' with 'fabricates news' and 'like' with 'not quite like'.

Char. Limit

Gold Member
I wouldn't use regularly.

Regularly denotes a pattern. There's not really a pattern to when they do it.

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I wouldn't use regularly.

Regularly denotes a pattern. There's not really a pattern to when they do it.
Okay, I'm being a little loose with the use of the word 'regularly', but from my memory, John Stewart seems to catch them pulling their tricks every few of months or thereabout. A recent one that I recall was the bit where Hannity switched the footage for a protest rally, and later admitted to "an inadvertent mistake" after the Daily Show blew his act. Using footage from a different event to jack up attendance numbers - that's how low Fox stoops with their pettiness.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-november-10-2009/sean-hannity-uses-glenn-beck-s-protest-footage

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads