1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fractal Perimeter/Area

1. Oct 21, 2006 #1

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Hey if you guys look up Fractal on Wikipedia, you see the author states that the Koch Snowflake, a common and famous fractal, supposedly has an infinite perimeter yet finite area. It sed it would be infinite perimeter because it keeps on adding perimeter with each iteration. How ever, i thought since it keeps on adding Less with each iteration, it would remsemble a series that continually adds less. i havent worked out the actual series yet, i will soon, but basically since it keeps adding less and less, it should eventually converge into a finite number eventually, right? sorta like if u kept on adding 10^0 + 10^-1 + 10^-2 + 10^-3 + 10^-4 so on so forth, sure u keep adding numbers, but the first one is 1, 2nd term 0.1, 3rd 0.01, 4th in 0.001, so on in that fashion, adding to 1.11111111111111111111111...., or 1 and 1/9. well yea, so this fractal i think really had finite area

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

Not all series which have terms that go to zero converge. For example,

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n} = \infty [/tex]

To see this, note:

[tex] 1+ \frac{1}{2} + \left(\frac{1}{3} + \frac{1}{4} \right) + \left(\frac{1}{5} + \frac{1}{6} + \frac{1}{7} +\frac{1}{8} \right) + ... > 1 + \frac{1}{2} + \left( \frac{1}{4} + \frac{1}{4}\right) + \left( \frac{1}{8} +\frac{1}{8} +\frac{1}{8} +\frac{1}{8} \right) + ... = 1 + \frac{1}{2} +\frac{1}{2} + ... = \infty[/tex]

But this doesn't matter here, because in the Koch snowflake, at each step you increase the perimeter by 4/3, so the terms in the series actually increase, and so it obviously diverges.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2006
  4. Oct 21, 2006 #3
    It is true that each triangle part adds less per iteration but at the same time there are more of them per iteration. :smile:

5. Oct 22, 2006 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

yea thats for the help, i just realised wen i actually bothered to work it out this morning. wow that is quite extra ordinary, infinite perimeter inside a finite area. does anyone know the equations of any fractals, hopefully that i can plug into Graphamatica 2.0e?

6. Oct 22, 2006 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, no, the perimeter is NOT "inside" the area!

7. Oct 22, 2006 #6

Gib Z

Homework Helper

excuse me? yes i think quite so. I was no referring to inside the finite area of the fractal, but say, a square around it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook