Is the Fractal Perimeter Infinite but Area Finite?

• Thread starter Gib Z
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fractal
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of fractals, specifically the Koch Snowflake which has an infinite perimeter but a finite area. The author argues that since the perimeter keeps adding less with each iteration, it should eventually converge into a finite number. However, it is pointed out that not all series with terms that go to zero converge. It is also mentioned that the perimeter is not inside the area of the fractal. The conversation ends with a request for equations of other fractals.
Gib Z
Homework Helper
Hey if you guys look up Fractal on Wikipedia, you see the author states that the Koch Snowflake, a common and famous fractal, supposedly has an infinite perimeter yet finite area. It sed it would be infinite perimeter because it keeps on adding perimeter with each iteration. How ever, i thought since it keeps on adding Less with each iteration, it would remsemble a series that continually adds less. i haven't worked out the actual series yet, i will soon, but basically since it keeps adding less and less, it should eventually converge into a finite number eventually, right? sort of like if u kept on adding 10^0 + 10^-1 + 10^-2 + 10^-3 + 10^-4 so on so forth, sure u keep adding numbers, but the first one is 1, 2nd term 0.1, 3rd 0.01, 4th in 0.001, so on in that fashion, adding to 1.11111111111111111111111..., or 1 and 1/9. well yea, so this fractal i think really had finite area

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Not all series which have terms that go to zero converge. For example,

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n} = \infty [/tex]

To see this, note:

[tex] 1+ \frac{1}{2} + \left(\frac{1}{3} + \frac{1}{4} \right) + \left(\frac{1}{5} + \frac{1}{6} + \frac{1}{7} +\frac{1}{8} \right) + ... > 1 + \frac{1}{2} + \left( \frac{1}{4} + \frac{1}{4}\right) + \left( \frac{1}{8} +\frac{1}{8} +\frac{1}{8} +\frac{1}{8} \right) + ... = 1 + \frac{1}{2} +\frac{1}{2} + ... = \infty[/tex]

But this doesn't matter here, because in the Koch snowflake, at each step you increase the perimeter by 4/3, so the terms in the series actually increase, and so it obviously diverges.

Last edited:
Gib Z said:
How ever, i thought since it keeps on adding Less with each iteration, it would remsemble a series that continually adds less.
It is true that each triangle part adds less per iteration but at the same time there are more of them per iteration. :smile:

yea that's for the help, i just realized wen i actually bothered to work it out this morning. wow that is quite extra ordinary, infinite perimeter inside a finite area. does anyone know the equations of any fractals, hopefully that i can plug into Graphamatica 2.0e?

Well, no, the perimeter is NOT "inside" the area!

excuse me? yes i think quite so. I was no referring to inside the finite area of the fractal, but say, a square around it.

What is a fractal perimeter/area?

A fractal perimeter/area is a mathematical concept that describes the boundary or surface area of a fractal shape. Fractals are geometric patterns that repeat themselves at different scales, and their perimeter/area is often infinitely long or complex.

How is fractal perimeter/area different from regular perimeter/area?

The main difference is that fractal perimeter/area is not a finite value. Regular perimeter/area can be measured and calculated precisely, but fractal perimeter/area is often infinite or self-similar, meaning it repeats itself at different scales. Fractals also have a fractional dimension, making their perimeter/area more complex.

What is the importance of studying fractal perimeter/area?

Studying fractal perimeter/area can help us understand and describe natural phenomena that exhibit fractal characteristics, such as coastlines, clouds, and trees. It also has applications in various fields, including mathematics, physics, computer science, and biology.

How is fractal perimeter/area measured or calculated?

Fractal perimeter/area is often measured using a method called box counting. This involves dividing the fractal into smaller and smaller boxes and counting the number of boxes that intersect with the fractal. The perimeter/area is then calculated using a formula that takes into account the size of the boxes and the number of boxes intersecting the fractal.

Can fractal perimeter/area be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, fractal perimeter/area has been used to solve real-world problems, such as modeling natural phenomena, designing efficient computer algorithms, and understanding the growth of biological systems. It also has potential applications in image compression, data analysis, and financial modeling.