1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fractal Sphere

1. Sep 25, 2006 #1
    I have heard of such idea:

A sphere of fractional dimension 0<s<1 is understood as a probability sphere with probability s to have an electron at a certain position

for example the volume of the sphere S^{n-1} in \Re^n has volume

Vol(S^{n-1})= (2\Pi^{n/2})/(\Gamma(n/2)

and we can apply the result to non-integer values of n

Anyone have heard of this idea and show me the link for further information? :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2007 #2
    I have been searching for the same thing, and a few places say that it is given by:

\Gamma^2(1/2)/\Gamma(n/2)

for any dimension, even fractional ones, but I am trying to find a way to prove it myself, perhaps using integration with respect to the Hausdorff measure (since it recognizes non-integer dimensions). And just a note- the formula you gave is actually the area measure of the unit S^{n-1} sphere, the volume of the unit S^{n-1} sphere is actually:

Vol(S^{n-1})=[2\pi^{(n-1)/2}]/[\Gamma((n-1)/2+1)],

**Note that the denominator can be rewritten {(n-1)/2}\Gamma((n-1)/2)}.

4. Jul 23, 2007 #3
    The proof for integer [tex]n[/tex] is simple and done by induction. It could be found for example in

Chapter 5.9 of W Fleming: "Functions of Several Variables", Springer-
    Verlag 1977

We generalize [tex]n![/tex] to [tex]\Gamma(n+1)[/tex] and the formula is obtained.
    My problem is the physical aspect. What is the physical mean of a "fractional sphere" and could it possibly be related to "probability sphere" in Quantum Mechanics?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?