Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fractional calculus in Physics?

1. Apr 23, 2003 #1
    Has any menaing the use of fractional calculus in..physics?.i have used it several time to quantizy non-polynomial hamiltonians in quantum mechanics...(such us H=p**e e not an integer).but does the fractional calculus have a meaning or utility in physics?..to cancel infinities to calculate perturbation corrections or all that...
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you mean 'variational calculus?' I'm afraid I've never heard the term 'fractional calculus.'

Also, I've never once seen a polynomial Hamiltonian. ;)

- Warren
  4. Apr 25, 2003 #3

Sorry..perhaps it was my bad english..when i meant "polynomial" i mean hamiltonians of the form....

H**2=Px**2+Py**2+.. or H=Px**2+Py**2..that is the variables E and P,s appear in that way (the powers are always integer).

By fractional calculus it is mean that instead of using the operator (d/dx)**n being n and integer n can be real or even complex you can take a look about it in www.mathworld.com
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?