Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fractional derivative

1. Jul 4, 2010 #1
    what is

d^0.5/(dx)^0.5 {exp(-x)* (x^-1)

tks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

AFAIK there is no such thing. Do you have a text that defines what this is, or are you just asking?

The only derivatives I have ever heard of in working with calculus for many years are the zero-th derivative (the function itself), the first derivative, the second derivative, and so on. No negative order or fractional order derivatives.

4. Jul 4, 2010 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What definition of fractional derivative are you using?

(If you just came up with the idea yourself, go use google to research "fractional derivative")

5. Jul 4, 2010 #4
    A few references :

From a paper entitled : "La dérivation fractionnaire" (a review for general public, French-style)
    http://www.scribd.com/people/documents/10794575-jjacquelin

6. Jul 4, 2010 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

7. Jul 4, 2010 #6
    If I remember correctly, I think Feynman was playing with this stuff (without knowing that it was already discovered) when he was still in high school. Just a small bit of trivia and absolutely not related to the purpose of the topic.

8. Jul 4, 2010 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

9. Jul 4, 2010 #8
    Actually this field is a new one.Again not so new, riemann, liouville worked with it. U can google search or get a book on it. It exists really.

10. Jul 4, 2010 #9
    ^You're a couple posts too late.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook