Fractional exponents of negative numbers?

In summary, The conversation mainly revolves around the validity of the expression y=x^2.5 with the input x=-2. It is determined that while the input is technically valid, it results in a complex number which cannot be evaluated on a basic calculator. The conversation then delves into the concept of imaginary arithmetic and the multivalued nature of the expression (-2)^2.5. It is mentioned that the principal value of (-2)^2.5 is the one with the + sign. The conversation also touches upon the discovery of a 3D space where real and imaginary numbers exist together. There is also mention of the graph of x^2 and x^3 and the continuity between the two.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I was just playing around in my head. I wanted to plot this graph:

y=x^2.5; x=-2

This is valid right? My calc says it's invalid input.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Oh I see.

x^2.5 is the same as x^2 * x^.5

So you're taking the square root of a negative number.

Uh, I don't know quite enough about imaginary arithmetic to figure out the answer but I'll take a stab.

-2^2 * -2^.5
= 4 * 2i
= 8i ?

It's valid, but it's complex. So if you can't evaluate complex numbers on your calculator that would explain why the calculator says it's invalid.

DaveC426913 said:
Oh I see.

x^2.5 is the same as x^2 * x^.5

So you're taking the square root of a negative number.

Uh, I don't know quite enough about imaginary arithmetic to figure out the answer but I'll take a stab.

-2^2 * -2^.5
= 4 * 2i
= 8i ?

(-2)^.5 is actually either plus or minus 2.5i

Well, technically, it's multivalued:

[tex]
(-2)^{2.5} = \pm 4 i \sqrt{2}
[/tex]

I think the principal value is the one with the + sign.

OK, I think that actually sort of answers the original question I was going to ask.

The graph of x^2 is a parabola, never crossing below the x-axis, yet the graph of x^3 does. Since the range from 2 to 3 is a continuum, you should be able to draw a sequence of graphs that shows where and how the "negative x" portion of one graph flips about the X-axis to the other graph.

So, it seems that answer is that it doesn't discontinuously jump from one the other, it actually passes through imaginary space to get there.

If this is true, then I have managed to, just through my own logic, discover the 3D space wherein real numbers and imaginary numbers exist together...

I wish I'd gone on to post-secondary math...

In case you're curious:

(-2)t := exp(t ln (-2))
= exp(t (ln |-2| + i arg -2)) = exp(t ln 2) exp(t i (pi + 2 pi n))
= 2t ( cos(t pi) + i sin(t pi) ) ( cos(2 pi n t) + i sin(2 pi n t))

The principal value occurs when n = 0. (or maybe n=-1... but I think it's n=0) Note that usually there are infinitely many values to the exponential; that 2.5 is rational makes it special.

Ultimately what I want to do is graph the change from x^2 to x^3 with the real numbers as the exponent.

1. What is a fractional exponent of a negative number?

A fractional exponent of a negative number is a way of representing a power or root of a negative number. It is written in the form of a fraction, with the negative number as the base and the numerator of the fraction as the power or root.

2. How do you simplify a negative number with a fractional exponent?

To simplify a negative number with a fractional exponent, you can apply the rules of exponents. For example, if the base is negative and the exponent is a fraction, you can rewrite it as a negative number raised to the reciprocal of the exponent. Then, you can simplify the exponent to get the final answer.

3. Can a negative number have a fractional exponent that is a whole number?

Yes, a negative number can have a fractional exponent that is a whole number. For example, (-2)^1/2 is equal to the square root of -2, which is an irrational number. However, it is important to note that the result will always be a complex number when the exponent is a whole number and the base is a negative number.

4. What is the difference between a negative number with a fractional exponent and a negative number with a negative exponent?

The difference between a negative number with a fractional exponent and a negative number with a negative exponent lies in the result. A negative number with a fractional exponent will always result in a complex number, while a negative number with a negative exponent will result in a reciprocal of the positive version of the number. For example, (-2)^1/2 is equal to the square root of -2, which is a complex number, while (-2)^-2 is equal to 1/(-2)^2, which is equal to 1/4.

5. Can a negative number with a fractional exponent be simplified to a positive number?

Yes, a negative number with a fractional exponent can be simplified to a positive number. This can happen when the denominator of the fraction is an even number. For example, (-8)^1/3 can be rewritten as (-2)^3, which is equal to 8 and is a positive number.