Finding Fraction Field of Z[1/2]

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the fraction field of Z[1/2] and the general theorem that states that the fraction field of an integral domain is the smallest field that contains it. The conversation also touches on the proof of this theorem and suggests further exploration into characterizations of fraction fields.
Metric_Space
How would I go about finding the fraction field of Z[1/2]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Uuh, wouldn't that just be [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex]?

In general, if R is an integral domain, and if Q is it's fraction field, then, if

[tex]R\subseteq S\subseteq Q[/tex]

then the fraction field of S is Q.

Yes, that's right -- I guess I don't fully understand how all of these things relate (integral domains, fraction fields, etc)

How did you get that so quickly?

Metric_Space said:
How did you get that so quickly?

Uuuh, intuition I guess? After a lot of practising, these things come fast...

micromass said:
Uuh, wouldn't that just be [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex]?

In general, if R is an integral domain, and if Q is it's fraction field, then, if

[tex]R\subseteq S\subseteq Q[/tex]

then the fraction field of S is Q.

Is this a theorem then?

It could be, yes...

What about Z[1/3]?

Doesn't the same theorem apply here?

yes, you're right

micromass said:
It could be, yes...

do you know the name of this theorem so I could look it up and see the proof?

Uuh, I don't know any books that contain the proof. But the proof is a very good exercise. Why not try it for yourself? What do you know about fraction fields? Do you have characterizations for them?

Just know the definition :

Fraction field for integral domain = {a/b | a, b are elements of D, b not equal to zero}

Can you prove that the fraction field Q of an integral domain A is the smallest field that contains A?

I.e. Assume that K is a field such that

[tex]A\subseteq K[/tex]

then

[tex]Q\subseteq K[/tex]

Start by showing this...

Edit: I might have take [itex]\subseteq[/itex] a bit too liberal in the last equation. Formally, there only exists an injective ring morfism [itex]Q\rightarrow K[/itex]. But I see that as the same thing as a subset...

1. What is the "fraction field" of Z[1/2]?

The fraction field of Z[1/2] is also known as the field of fractions or the quotient field. It is the smallest field that contains all elements of the ring Z[1/2]. In simpler terms, it is the set of all rational numbers that can be expressed as a fraction with a denominator of 2.

2. How is the fraction field of Z[1/2] calculated?

The fraction field of Z[1/2] is calculated by taking the set of all possible fractions with a denominator of 2, and then simplifying any fractions that are equivalent. For example, 1/2 and 2/4 are equivalent fractions, so they would be considered the same element in the fraction field.

3. Why is the fraction field of Z[1/2] important?

The fraction field of Z[1/2] is important because it allows us to work with rational numbers in a more general and abstract way. It also helps us to understand the structure and properties of rings and fields, which are important concepts in mathematics.

4. Can the fraction field of Z[1/2] be extended to include other denominators?

Yes, the fraction field of Z[1/2] can be extended to include other denominators. The fraction field of Z[1/2] is just one example of a fraction field, and similar methods can be used to find the fraction field of any ring.

5. How is the fraction field of Z[1/2] related to other mathematical concepts?

The fraction field of Z[1/2] is closely related to other mathematical concepts such as rational numbers, fields, and rings. It is a fundamental concept in abstract algebra and is used in many other branches of mathematics such as number theory and algebraic geometry.