What is the significance of Fractional Occupation Numbers in DFT?

In summary, Fractional Occupation Numbers are a numerical integration technique often used in Density Functional Theory for metals. They help speed up convergence by smoothly transitioning from 1 to 0 as they integrate over a discrete grid of points. Additionally, fractional occupation numbers may indicate charge delocalization or be intentionally simulated to check the energy dependence on continuous occupation numbers. A vanishing second derivative is necessary for a correct description. A reference for further reading on this topic is provided in the conversation.
supw
What is the significance/physical interpretation of Fractional Occupation Numbers in DFT?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please provide a reference - though it's probably an average occupation.
Like the average family having 2.6 kids - what is the significance of a fractional kid?

@Simon :: Fractional Occupation Numbers with reference to Density Functional Theory.

Yes. I know. Answer stands.
By "reference" I mean like a book of an article you can show me that talks about the fractional occupation number, so I know the context and I'm not just guessing.

Fractional occupation is often used as a numerical integration technique for metals. If you have a Fermi surface and you're integrating over a discrete grid of points, the abruptness of the change in the occupation results in very slow convergence wrt the grid density. Using fractional occupations that smoothly go from 1 to 0 from the inside to the outside of the Fermi surface can be used to speed convergence.

There are different scenarios where fractional occupation numbers are useful. Here I give two:

1- They may indicate charge delocalization. So, a state which is supposed to be fully occupied is now fractionally occupied and the rest is spread over several ions. This situation could be the reality or an inherent error in DFT.

2- Fractionally occupied states my be intentionally simulated to check the energy dependence on the occupation number regarded as a continuous function. A correct description requires a vanishing second derivative for this function. Check figure 1 of this paper:
http://journals.aps.org/prb/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevB.80.085202

1. What are fractional occupation numbers?

Fractional occupation numbers refer to the number of electrons occupying a specific energy level in an atom or molecule. These numbers are typically expressed as fractions, indicating that the energy level is not fully occupied by electrons.

2. How are fractional occupation numbers calculated?

Fractional occupation numbers are calculated using the molecular orbital theory, which takes into account the electronic structure and energy levels of atoms and molecules. This theory uses mathematical equations to determine the distribution of electrons in different energy levels.

3. What is the significance of fractional occupation numbers?

Fractional occupation numbers are important because they provide information about the electronic configuration and stability of atoms and molecules. They also help to explain the physical and chemical properties of these substances.

4. Can fractional occupation numbers be negative?

No, fractional occupation numbers cannot be negative. They represent the proportion of electrons in an energy level, and since electrons cannot be divided, the numbers cannot be negative.

5. How do fractional occupation numbers affect chemical bonding?

Fractional occupation numbers play a crucial role in chemical bonding. The distribution of electrons in different energy levels determines the type and strength of chemical bonds between atoms, which ultimately affects the properties and behavior of substances.