1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fractional part sum

1. Dec 29, 2012 #1
    Hi everyone!
    How to solve this: S(n) = { (a+b)/n } + { (2a+b)/n } + { (3a+b)/n } + ... + { (na+b)/n } where {x} represents fractional part of x. a,b,n are natural non-null numbers and (a,n)=1.

I don`t need only an answer, i need a good solution.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    Have I understood you...
    $$S(n)=\frac{a+b}{n}+\frac{2a+b}{n}+\cdots +\frac{(n-1)a+b}{n}+\frac{na+b}{n}$$ ... ... if this is what you intended, then it looks straight forward to simplify: notice that each term is over a common denominator ... you should be able to see what to do from there.

Note: I don't know what you mean by "{x} is the fractional part of x" or "(a,n)=1".

4. Dec 30, 2012 #3
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  5. Jan 1, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I had a feeling...
    Thanks for the detailed description.
    You did provide the context with "fractional part" but I didn't get it because this was not taught that way, with those words, in NZ when I went to "middle school" (though I may have missed that class due to dodging dinosaurs and contemplating the possibilities of this new-fangled "wheel" thingy.)

Mind you - (a,b) for "greatest common divisor" (factor - whatever) would be an older and ifaik uncommon notation - it is more usual to see "gcd(a,b)" instead. This sort of thing makes international forums more fun :D

So...
    $$\sum_{i=1}^n \left \{ \frac{ia+b}{n} \right \}=\sum_{i=1}^n \frac{ia+b}{n}-\sum_{i=1}^n \left \lfloor \frac{ia+b}{n} \right \rfloor$$

It occurs to me that the properties of the floor function may help here?

Note: This is the source of the problem http://www.viitoriolimpici.ro/uploads/attach_data/112/45/26//4e02c08p03.pdf[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  6. Jan 2, 2013 #5
    Thanks anyway man, a very good math guy helped me on other forum with a modulo n solve. It was the best I`ve ever seen. It is solved now, but thanks!

7. Jan 2, 2013 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Cool - link to the solution?

8. Jan 3, 2013 #7
  9. Jan 3, 2013 #8

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook