1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fractional Uncertainty and Precision/Accuracy

1. Sep 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am to use a stopwatch and record the time is takes for me to start and stop it ten times. I have collected my data, and calculated the average along with uncertainty and a fractional uncertainty. I am asked if the fractional uncertainty is a measure of precision or accuracy? I am not quite sure.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I believe that the fractional uncertainty is related to accuracy because no matter how many times I start and stop the watch, it is going to be around the same value each time. The (.06s) / (.18s) uncertainty which is .33, is referring to how accurate I am to my average value.

I know the different between precision and accuracy. For example a dartboard. All shots in the bullseye, close to each other represents both. Shots bunched together but not close to the bullseye would represent precision. How does this relate to this stopwatch experience?

Any feedback much appreciated.

Thanks

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted