1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fractions of all numbers

1. Nov 1, 2009 #1
    I really didn't know how to word the title so sorry if it's a little confusing.
    And I didn't know whether to post this in number theory or not but ah well.

The other day, I started thinking about this and I was just wondering if it had been done before or if it's even correct;

Half of all positive integers are divisible by 2,
    A third are divisible by 3,
    A quarter by 4 etc.

Now, of the third that are divisible by 3, a half of those numbers are also divisible by 2.
    So 1/6 of positive integers are divisible by 3 and not 2.

I continued this trend to find;
    [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex] of p. ints are divisible by 2
    [tex]\frac{1}{3}\left(1-\frac{1}{2}\right)[/tex] are divisible by 3 and not 2
    [tex]\frac{1}{5}\left(1-\left(\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{3}\left(1-\frac{1}{2}\right)\right)\right)[/tex] are divisible by 5 and not 3 or 2
    [tex]\frac{1}{7}\left(1-\left(\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{3}\left(1-\frac{1}{2}\right)+\frac{1}{5}\left(1-\left(\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{3}\left(1-\frac{1}{2}\right)\right)\right)\right)\right)[/tex] are divisible by 7 and not 5, 3 or 2

If I sum all these to infinity, it should equal 1 as it will then cover all positive integers.

So could you by any chance verify the truth of this statement,

[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{p_{0}=2}\frac{1}{p_{0}}\left(1-\sum^{p_{0}-1}_{p_{1}=2}\frac{1}{p_{1}}\left(1-\sum^{p_{1}-1}_{p_{2}=2}\frac{1}{p_{2}}\left(...\right)\right)\right) = 1[/tex]

I know this is quite awkward looking and I don't even know if I've used correct notation, I just sort of scrawled it down as I was thinking it.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2009 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To make it a little easier: the sum of "divisible by 2" + "not divisible by 2 but divisible by 3" + "not divisible by 2 or 3 but divisible by 5" is "divisible by 2, 3, or 5" which is "not relatively prime to 2, 3, and 5":

[tex]f_1 = 1/2[/tex]
    [tex]f_2 = 1/2 + 1/2\cdot1/3 = 1 - 1/2\cdot2/3[/tex]
    [tex]f_3 = 1/2 + 1/2\cdot1/3 + 1/2\cdot2/3\cdot1/5 = 1 - 1/2\cdot2/3\cdot4/5[/tex]
    . . .
    [tex]f_k = 1 - \sum_{q\in\mathbb{P},q\le p_k}\left(1-\frac1p\right)[/tex]

Now instead of lots of sums, you only have one. All you need to show is that the sum in question tends to 0 as k goes to infinity (which is true).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook