Solve Fractions Question Homework: Methodology Needed

• Thread starter GreenMind
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fractions
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with fractions and the methodology for solving it. The solution involves dividing the numerator and denominator and considering the placement of a negative sign.
GreenMind

Homework Statement

http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=fractions.JPG
Can someone please give me the methodology/rules for this to happen?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I know there is nothing you can factor out here so I am confused as to how this result is possible.

Any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by dividing the numerator through by R^4. See what you think after that. Then look at the denominator. I don't see where the negative sign in front ends up going to though.

Thank you, Hage567 that helped me. The negative sign I just forgot when I typed in it really should be there.

I forgot that that you don't need to divide the whole equation just the denominator or numerator when trying to cancel out.

1. How do I solve fraction questions in my homework?

The first step in solving fraction questions is to make sure you have a clear understanding of what a fraction represents. A fraction is a number that represents a part of a whole. To solve a fraction question, you will need to use basic mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. What is the methodology for solving fraction questions?

The methodology for solving fraction questions involves a few steps. First, you need to identify the type of fraction you are dealing with (proper, improper, mixed). Then, you will need to convert the fraction to an equivalent fraction with a common denominator. Next, you can perform the necessary mathematical operation on the numerators and keep the common denominator. Finally, you may need to simplify the fraction if possible.

3. How do I know if my answer to a fraction question is correct?

To check if your answer to a fraction question is correct, you can use a few different methods. One way is to plug your answer back into the original equation and see if it results in a true statement. Another method is to use estimation and compare your answer to the original fractions. Finally, you can use a calculator to verify your answer.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving fraction questions?

One common mistake when solving fraction questions is forgetting to convert the fractions to equivalent fractions with a common denominator. Another mistake is not simplifying the fraction when possible, which can lead to an incorrect answer. It is also important to be careful with the signs and perform the correct mathematical operations.

5. Are there any helpful tips for solving fraction questions?

Yes, there are a few helpful tips for solving fraction questions. One tip is to always simplify the fractions before performing any mathematical operations. Another tip is to always check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation. Additionally, you can use visual aids such as diagrams or models to better understand the fractions and their relationships.