Where do the units for fracture energy come from in this equation?

In summary, the units for fracture energy are equal to J/m^2 and are derived from the equation 2*gamma_ef=K_Ic^2/E, where gamma_ef represents fracture energy, K_Ic represents fracture toughness, and E represents Young's modulus. This is a common calculation in coursework, though it may initially seem confusing.
Denzil
I am having trouble understanding where the units to fracture energy come from when worked out with the following equation.

2[tex]\gamma[/tex][tex]_{ef}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{K^{2}_{Ic}}{E}[/tex]

fracture energy = fracture toughness/young modulus
i asked my teacher as this is part of my coursework but he was not able to work it out.

I don't understand how the division of Mpa with Mpa = J/m[tex]^{2}[/tex]

any insight would be much appreciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Fracture toughness has units of Pa*sqrt(m), so its square has units of Pa^2 * m. Divide that by Pa and you get Pa*m, or N/m^2 * m=N/m. Can you now see why the units are equal to J/m^2?

What is the fracture mechanics equation?

The fracture mechanics equation is a mathematical relationship that describes the behavior of materials under stress and predicts the likelihood of fracture or failure.

What factors does the fracture mechanics equation take into account?

The fracture mechanics equation takes into account factors such as the material properties, stress levels, and geometry of the material.

How is the fracture mechanics equation used in engineering?

The fracture mechanics equation is commonly used in engineering to assess the safety and reliability of structures and components, and to determine the best materials and designs to prevent fractures and failures.

Are there different versions of the fracture mechanics equation?

Yes, there are different versions of the fracture mechanics equation that have been developed to address specific types of materials and loading conditions.

What are the limitations of the fracture mechanics equation?

The fracture mechanics equation is a theoretical model and may not accurately predict the behavior of real-world materials. It also assumes that materials have uniform properties, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it does not take into account factors such as temperature and environmental conditions, which can affect material behavior.