Fracture Mechanics Problem: Max Slit Length Without Fracture

In summary, the formula used to solve this problem is based on Griffith's theory of brittle fracture, where δ represents tensile strain, ∏ represents the length of the crack, and a represents the radius of the crack. E represents the Young's Modulus of Elasticity and Gc represents the Critical Energy Release Rate. To solve for the maximum length of slit that can be tolerated without fracture, you will need to use the given values and solve for ∏ using the formula.
Rastanking
Hi everyone,

I have a problem that I hope someone can help me with, the question is.

A mass of 500kg induces a tensile stress in a glass sheet restrained at the top. Given that the fracture strength of sound glass is 170MPa what is the maximum length of slit that can be tolerated without fracture.

The mass is 200mm wide, 2mm deep and has a crack of 2a in the centre

so using the formula = δ√∏a = √EGc

I get this δ = (500 x 9.81) / 200 x 2

So first question is because the mass is suspended at the top I'm assuming that the 9.81 is gravity and if so the second question appears, from the formula how do I know which figures to use?

To me the formula states ∏xa, I'm assuming that's area and E = Youngs Modulus of Elasticity and Gc is Critical energy release rate.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for posting your question on this forum. I would be happy to help you with this problem.

Firstly, you are correct in your assumption that the 9.81 in the formula represents gravity. This is because the mass is acting downwards due to the force of gravity, which is inducing the tensile stress on the glass sheet.

To answer your second question, the formula you are using is known as the Griffith's theory of brittle fracture. In this theory, δ represents the tensile strain induced by the applied stress, ∏ represents the length of the crack, and a represents the radius of the crack. E represents the Young's Modulus of Elasticity, which is a measure of the stiffness of a material, and Gc represents the Critical Energy Release Rate, which is a measure of the energy required to propagate a crack in a material.

In order to solve this problem, you will need to use the values given in the question, such as the mass, width, depth, and fracture strength of the glass. You will also need to determine the value of Gc for sound glass, which can be found in reference materials or calculated using experimental data. Once you have all the necessary values, you can plug them into the formula and solve for ∏, which will give you the maximum length of slit that can be tolerated without fracture.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification on any of the concepts. Good luck with your problem!

1. What is fracture mechanics and why is it important?

Fracture mechanics is a branch of engineering that studies the behavior of materials when subjected to external forces, such as tension, compression, or bending. It is important because it allows us to understand and predict how materials will behave and potentially fail under different loading conditions, which is crucial for ensuring the safety and reliability of structures and components.

2. What is a fracture mechanics problem?

A fracture mechanics problem involves analyzing the behavior of a material or structure when a crack or flaw is present. This includes determining the critical crack length or maximum allowable crack length before the material or structure will fail.

3. How is the max slit length without fracture calculated?

The max slit length without fracture is calculated using fracture mechanics principles, specifically the stress intensity factor (K). This factor takes into account the material properties, loading conditions, and crack dimensions to determine the critical length at which the material will fail.

4. What are some factors that can affect the max slit length without fracture?

Some factors that can affect the max slit length without fracture include the material's fracture toughness, the type and magnitude of loading, the geometry and location of the crack, and any environmental conditions, such as temperature or corrosion.

5. How can fracture mechanics be applied in real-world situations?

Fracture mechanics is commonly applied in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and civil engineering to predict and prevent failures in structures and components. It can also be used in materials testing and design to ensure the safety and reliability of new materials and products.