Fracture Toughness: Stress Intensity Factor Formula

• Thread starter Altairs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fracture
In summary: If you have a crack, you use Kic and Ultimate strength to calculate the crack dimension. In summary, the formula for stress intensity factor is used to determine how a material will break when a crack is present. If there is no crack, the ultimate strength can be used. If there is a crack, both yield and ultimate strength cannot be used as the material may break earlier. To calculate the crack dimension, the fracture toughness and ultimate strength are used.
Altairs
Reference is to the formula for stress intensity factor :

K_I(mode I) = beta*nominal stress*(pi*crack dimension)^1/2

now the question is that

1.ductile:
if I use the value of fracture toughness K_c in place of K_I and yield strength in place of nominal stress what will the value of crack dimension signify ? Does this mean that both yielding and fracture occurs at same time ?

2.ductile:
if I use the value of fracture toughness K_c in place of K_I and ultimate strength in place of nominal stress what will the value of crack dimension signify ?

3.brittle
if I use the value of fracture toughness K_c in place of K_I and ultimate strength in place of nominal stress what will the value of crack dimension signify ?

please explain. I am getting all these things mixed up.

thx

Engineering news on Phys.org
ANy help here ? :S

I think that you are mixture differents things.
K_I is the stress intensity factor that tells you how your material break if you have a inicial crack.
1.- If you material don't have any crack you can not apply Kic and you use Ultimate streght
2.- If you have a crack, you can not use neither yield or ultimate because is possible that you material breaks earlier.

1. What is fracture toughness?

Fracture toughness is a material property that measures its ability to resist fracture when subjected to a crack or flaw.

2. What is the stress intensity factor formula?

The stress intensity factor formula is a mathematical expression that relates the applied stress, crack size, and material property (fracture toughness) to the stress concentration at the crack tip.

3. How is fracture toughness measured?

Fracture toughness is typically measured through standardized tests, such as the Charpy impact test or the Three-Point Bend test.

4. What factors affect fracture toughness?

Fracture toughness can be affected by various factors such as material composition, microstructure, temperature, and loading rate.

5. Why is fracture toughness important?

Fracture toughness is an important material property as it helps to predict the behavior of a material when it is subjected to stress or impact. It is crucial in designing and selecting materials for applications where crack or flaw growth must be prevented.