1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frame analysis for equilibrium

1. Jan 15, 2012 #1
    Hello my name is Donald. I need some help analysing a frame for equilibrium at the joints.
    I will attach a drawing of the work I have performed so-far. I am stuck where the brace meets the right post at 2.5 ft. from top. This is my first try at posting, please forgive me for lack of knowledge in posting.
    Thank you

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2012 #2
    I assume the drawing is an isometric or similar 3-dimensional sketch, and that the three upward arrows are reactions? Do the small circles represent pin-joints, or are they welded together to form moment-resisting connections? At the present state of things, you have no equilibrium with 3 lots of 1250 going up and at least 5 lots of 1250 going down. For equilibrium in 3 dimensions there are 6 equilibrium equations, namely three force and three moment equations. Have you considered all of those? Your question speaks of 'analysis'. That could mean (1) external analysis for reactions, or (2) internal analysis for moments, shears and normal forces. You need to clarify in order to get further help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook