What is the Force at Pin E in a Frame and Machine Analysis?

In summary: PIn summary, the force at pin E is 5205N. The equation to find the reaction at G is F_{GIx} + F_{GIy} = 5205, and the equation to find the x and y forces at E is F_{JK} = (F_{GIy} \times 2a) + (F_{GIx} \times 2a\tan(30)Hint 1: Regarding your equation in post 3, are you sure about 30 deg? Check that).
julz127

Homework Statement

Find the force acting at pin E

[PLAIN]http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/4983/piczt.png

a = 53.0 mm, b = 212 mm, c = 318 mm, d = 106 mm, and e = 371 mm.

A mass of 515kg acts through H.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

By finding the moment about point D, we can find the reaction at G, and since GI is a two force member the same force (opposite sign) acts at the other end, on pin I.

[tex] F_G = \frac {(F_H \times 2b) }{d_1}[/tex]

where [tex]d_1 = (2c+d) sin (180 - Atan (\frac{c}{d}))[/tex]

Solving this part I get 5205N, I know this is correct.

To find the forces at E isolate the IKE member. Sum the forces about E, to find the reaction JK then use equilibrium equations to find the x and y forces at E.

[tex]
F_{GIx} = 5205 cos (56.31)
[/tex]
[tex]
F_{GIy} = 5205 sin (56.31)
[/tex]
[tex]
M_E = (F_{GIy} \times 2a) + (F_{GIx} \times \frac {2a}{cos(30)})
[/tex]

This next part I'm having trouble with, can I simply break up the components of [tex]F_{IG}[/tex] and then have them act at I? With opposite sign of course.

I've bee working with the assumption that JK acts perpendicular to EI, is this correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
julz127: The answer to both of your last two questions is yes. Dividing 2*a by cos(30 deg) in your last equation currently seems wrong, unless I am misinterpreting. Check that. Also, your last equation seems to erroneously omit F_JK.

Yeah, last equation should have been:

[tex]F_{JK} \times \frac {a} {\cos(30)} = (F_{GIy} \times 2a) + (F_{GIx} \times 2a\tan(30)[/tex]

Hint 1: Regarding your equation in post 3, are you sure about 30 deg? Check that.

Oh dammit. :P

Do you know how long I spent on this question, before giving up and clicking "show answer"?

Thanks anyway. At least I can do it now.

1. What is frame analysis?

Frame analysis is a method used in structural engineering and mechanics to determine the internal forces and stresses within a structural frame. It involves analyzing the forces acting on each individual member of the frame and calculating their effect on the overall structure.

2. What is machine analysis?

Machine analysis is a process of studying the functions and operations of mechanical systems to understand their behavior and performance. It involves analyzing the forces, motions, and energy transfers within a machine to optimize its design and operation.

3. What are the main steps involved in frame analysis?

The main steps in frame analysis include: identifying the external loads acting on the frame, determining the support conditions, analyzing the internal forces and stresses within the frame using equations of equilibrium and compatibility, and finally, assessing the structural stability and strength based on the calculated results.

4. How is machine analysis useful in engineering?

Machine analysis is essential in engineering as it helps engineers understand the behavior and performance of mechanical systems, identify potential design flaws and weaknesses, and optimize the design for better efficiency and reliability.

5. What are the common tools used for frame and machine analysis?

There are various software programs and tools available for frame and machine analysis, such as finite element analysis software, structural analysis software, and computer-aided design (CAD) programs. These tools use mathematical models and algorithms to simulate and analyze the behavior and performance of structures and machines.