Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frame Design Project

1. Nov 26, 2009 #1
    I am building a frame that is supposed to resist the highest possible force in the horizontal direction. I am stuck at determining what is the optimal angle at which to design a member that runs against the applied load. In my project the load applied is in the - x direction and the member i am designing is in the + x and + y direction. The load is being applied by a loading bar and the force will be applied at a height of 4 in. I was just wondering how to pick an optimal angle for my member. I only have 6 in of platform to work with so I need an angle that will make my frame fit on the platform. If anything is unclear, please let me know; I'll try clarifying it.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2009 #2

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Remember this- most materials are around an order of magnitude stronger in tension than in bending. Minimize the bending forces in your frame, and you will maximize its strength.

4. Nov 26, 2009 #3
    When u mean bending force do you mean compression or bending moment?

5. Nov 26, 2009 #4
    I also have another question. When drawing the free body diagram, is it fine if I assume the external load is applied at a joint then some place on a member?

6. Nov 27, 2009 #5

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're right, I meant bending moments.

It depends on how the force would be applied in real life. It's possible to draw the free-body diagram either way, but remember if a force is being applied to the middle of a member, it will cause a bending moment in the member unless it is oriented parallel to it

7. Nov 29, 2009 #6
    When I'm calculating the bending moment in each member is it just the force times half the length?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook