Understanding Newton's Law: Motion of a Bird in a Rotating Frame of Reference

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of using a rotating reference frame, specifically a merry go round, to account for the motion of a bird as seen by an observer on the stationary observation deck of the CN tower. The question at hand is what must be introduced to satisfy Newton's law when using this reference frame. The conversation also raises confusion and questions about the wording and accuracy of the question.
wikidrox
An observer standing on the observation deck of the CN tower watches a bird fly by a rotating merry go round on the ground. Draw the path of the bird's flight as seen by the observer, with the merry go round as the frame of reference. In order to account for the motion of the bird using the merry go round frame of reference, what must be introduced to satisfy Newton's law?

I included the diagram. This question should be easy but it is the way it is worded that throws me off. My initial thought was to connect each interval from the merry go round to the birds path, but I wanted to verify that this was right.

Attachments

• physics 001.jpg
    physics 001.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 490
Physics news on Phys.org
Wait, wait, what?

"Draw the path of the bird's flight as seen by the observer [standing on the observation deck of the CN tower]." The CN tower is stationary, right? So we have to draw the path of the bird in a stationary reference frame (the observer's on the CN tower).

"With the merry go round as the frame of reference." So this is a rotating reference frame... But we already decided on the reference frame! What's going on?

cookiemonster

exactly!
I don't understand how there can be 2 frames of reference. That is exactly how it is written in the book.
Does this question seem to be incorrect?

1. What is a frame of reference?

A frame of reference is a set of coordinate axes or reference point that is used to describe the position and motion of an object. It is a necessary tool in physics for understanding the relative motion of objects.

2. How do I choose a frame of reference?

Choosing a frame of reference depends on the specific situation and what information you are trying to gather. Generally, a good frame of reference is one that is easily observable and stationary, such as the ground or a fixed point.

3. Why is a frame of reference important in physics?

A frame of reference is important in physics because it helps us understand and describe the motion of objects. Without a reference point, it would be difficult to determine an object's position, velocity, and acceleration.

4. Can a frame of reference affect the measurements of an object's motion?

Yes, a frame of reference can affect the measurements of an object's motion. Different frames of reference may result in different measurements of an object's position, velocity, or acceleration. It is important to choose the most appropriate frame of reference for a specific situation.

5. How does the concept of relativity relate to frame of reference?

The concept of relativity is closely related to frame of reference. Relativity states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that the measurements of an object's motion should be the same in all inertial frames of reference.