Calculating Euler Angles from Two Frames of Reference

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of obtaining Euler angles when given two sets of vectors specifying different frames of reference. The suggested method involves calculating a transform matrix and solving it with the constraints of Euler angle conventions. The process has been confirmed to work in 2 dimensions and it is requested for confirmation of its applicability in 3 dimensions.
muonnoum
Fairly straight forward question. If you have a set of three vectors specifying a frame of reference and a second set of 3 vectors stating another frame of reference. How do you get the Euler angles associated with that rotation?

More generally I am considering the relative orientation of one water molecule with another and require the Euler angles associated.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Rotate about z axis until z' axis is in the x-z plane. This is the first angle φ.
2) Rotate about y' axis until z' coincides with z. This is the second angle θ.
3) Rotate about z axis until x' and y' coincide with x and y. This is the third angle ψ.

There's more than one set of conventions in use, so these may or may not be exactly the ones you want.

I'm not quite sure what you mean but I think I have worked out what I need to do.

I think I need to calculate the transform matrix from the matrix of frame 1 and the inverse matrix of frame 2. This matrix corresponds to the Euler rotation matrix and so I simply have to equate the matrix elements and solve them simultaneously with the constraints imposed by the Euler angle conventions. I confirmed that this works in 2 dimensions but if you could confirm that there are no complications in going to 3 dimensions I would appreciate it.

Many thanks

1. What are Euler angles and why are they important in calculating rotations?

Euler angles are a set of three angles that represent the orientation of an object in 3D space. They are important in calculating rotations because they provide a way to describe the orientation of an object in a consistent and intuitive manner.

2. How do you calculate Euler angles from two frames of reference?

To calculate Euler angles from two frames of reference, you will first need to determine the rotation matrix that transforms one frame into the other. Then, you can use this matrix to calculate the Euler angles using trigonometric functions.

3. What is the difference between intrinsic and extrinsic Euler angles?

Intrinsic Euler angles describe the rotation of an object relative to its own axes, while extrinsic Euler angles describe the rotation of an object relative to an external set of axes. The order in which the rotations are performed also differs between the two types of Euler angles.

4. How many possible combinations of Euler angles are there?

There are 12 possible combinations of Euler angles, as there are three possible axes of rotation and two possible orders in which the rotations can be performed.

5. What are some applications of calculating Euler angles from two frames of reference?

Euler angles are commonly used in computer graphics, flight dynamics, robotics, and other fields that involve 3D rotations. They are also useful in motion capture, animation, and navigation systems.