France does it better!

1. Chi Meson

Chi Meson 1,772
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I was listening to the news this morning. France has better bread, better butter, better cocktails, better everything!

What else does France do better than US?

[avoid the obvious]

2. jcsd
  3. cronxeh

cronxeh 1,232
    Gold Member

They lose wars better (and faster) :biggrin:

4. ZapperZ

ZapperZ 29,861
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

They have better riots? :)

I think in terms of food, on average, France has better quality almost in all categories. Most americans are used to mediocre or poor-quality food that's cheap and fast. You'll never see a french settling for Wonder bread, for instance.

You could do the same comparison with Italy, which in my opinion, has even better food in general than France (uh-oh, I hear complaints brewing up). They have better coffee and certainly, better ice cream with their geloto.

Zz.

5. EL

EL 788
    Science Advisor

Football!!!

6. Chi Meson

Chi Meson 1,772
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Arrgh! Avoid the obvious! I thought we could dance around this one!:rolleyes:

I hope France can prove itself better than US at not taking itself too seriously. Unfortunately, since my last post I learned of the first fatality; this takes away the humor.

7. Says who? The radio? I've had a french bread before and it's as hard as a rock. Just about all french food I've ever had was either mediocre or terrible. Even things france is world renown for, like wine, is argueable not as good as the US's (i.e. Californian wine). Your just comparing french food to places like McDonalds.

Italy has like the best food in the world, way better than crummy french food.

8. Evo

Staff: Mentor

Chi, I see you have updated your location to the new region of Easterny. :tongue: French food is good, they have great pastries also. But I have to agree, Italy's food is better, even their pastries.

France has the Louvre, that's pretty cool. The French Alps are nice. The French Riviera is nice.

9. French Bread, French Toast, French Fries, France has all the awesome food!

10. ZapperZ

ZapperZ 29,861
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

And you could be thinking of french food of a particular type. Have you, for example, tried the french cuisine from the Provence region, or even around the mediterranean? We're talking about rustic, country french food here such as bouillabaisse.

And I don't know what kind of bread you got, but I like crusty, yeasty breads with flavor and texture, as opposed to Wonder bread that tastes like air.

Zz.

11. ZapperZ

ZapperZ 29,861
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I nominate mattmns to Evo for big smack on the head.

:)

Zz.

12. Chi Meson

Chi Meson 1,772
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I personally am a big fan of their Bike Race!!!

They have much much better bicycling champions than we do.

13. French food, I'm told, is much better than it tastes.

(Sorry Mr. Twain.)

How about French kissing, anyone else like it?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2005
  14. Laurence Olivier says Italian pastry chefs are better than French ones in Brideshead Revisited so it must be true.

The French speak French better than the Americans too.

15. Evo

Staff: Mentor

Although I love the duck rillettes I had when I was in the Jura.

16. They're better at the metric system...

17. Completely untrue.

Actually, I have yet to taste baked goods anywhere that are better than French ones.

18. Chi Meson

Chi Meson 1,772
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I noticed that too! It's like they make it sound so easy, so natural!

I'm not exactly a connesewar, but can anyone compare French whines to American whines?

19. Actually this is one thing that the US is probably better at than every single other western country. The only one that even seems to compare is China.
    Yeah... well, I'll give italy pasta and pizza (which is sooo good).

20. Yeah, French make good "wine". Americans spell it "whine" and make it accordingly.

21. Chi Meson

Chi Meson 1,772
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wha-ho! Two-shay!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?