France does it better!

• Thread starter Chi Meson
  • Start date
Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Main Question or Discussion Point

I was listening to the news this morning. France has better bread, better butter, better cocktails, better everything!

What else does France do better than US?

[avoid the obvious]

Answers and Replies

cronxeh
Gold Member
They lose wars better (and faster) :biggrin:

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
They have better riots? :)

I think in terms of food, on average, France has better quality almost in all categories. Most americans are used to mediocre or poor-quality food that's cheap and fast. You'll never see a french settling for Wonder bread, for instance.

You could do the same comparison with Italy, which in my opinion, has even better food in general than France (uh-oh, I hear complaints brewing up). They have better coffee and certainly, better ice cream with their geloto.

Zz.

EL
Science Advisor
Football!!!

Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
ZapperZ said:
Arrgh! Avoid the obvious! I thought we could dance around this one!:rolleyes:

I hope France can prove itself better than US at not taking itself too seriously. Unfortunately, since my last post I learned of the first fatality; this takes away the humor.

France has better bread, better butter, better cocktails, better everything!
Says who? The radio? I've had a french bread before and it's as hard as a rock. Just about all french food I've ever had was either mediocre or terrible. Even things france is world renown for, like wine, is argueable not as good as the US's (i.e. Californian wine). Your just comparing french food to places like McDonalds.

You could do the same comparison with Italy, which in my opinion, has even better food in general than France (uh-oh, I hear complaints brewing up). They have better coffee and certainly, better ice cream with their geloto.
Italy has like the best food in the world, way better than crummy french food.

Evo
Mentor
Chi, I see you have updated your location to the new region of Easterny. :tongue: French food is good, they have great pastries also. But I have to agree, Italy's food is better, even their pastries.

France has the Louvre, that's pretty cool. The French Alps are nice. The French Riviera is nice.

French Bread, French Toast, French Fries, France has all the awesome food!

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Entropy said:
Says who? The radio? I've had a french bread before and it's as hard as a rock. Just about all french food I've ever had was either mediocre or terrible. Even things france is world renown for, like wine, is argueable not as good as the US's (i.e. Californian wine). Your just comparing french food to places like McDonalds.
And you could be thinking of french food of a particular type. Have you, for example, tried the french cuisine from the Provence region, or even around the mediterranean? We're talking about rustic, country french food here such as bouillabaisse.

And I don't know what kind of bread you got, but I like crusty, yeasty breads with flavor and texture, as opposed to Wonder bread that tastes like air.

Zz.

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
mattmns said:
French Bread, French Toast, French Fries, France has all the awesome food!
I nominate mattmns to Evo for big smack on the head.

:)

Zz.

Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I personally am a big fan of their Bike Race!!!

They have much much better bicycling champions than we do.

French food, I'm told, is much better than it tastes.

(Sorry Mr. Twain.)

How about French kissing, anyone else like it?

Last edited:
Evo said:
I have to agree, Italy's food is better, even their pastries.
Laurence Olivier says Italian pastry chefs are better than French ones in Brideshead Revisited so it must be true.

The French speak French better than the Americans too.

Evo
Mentor
Although I love the duck rillettes I had when I was in the Jura.

They're better at the metric system...

El Hombre Invisible said:
Laurence Olivier says Italian pastry chefs are better than French ones in Brideshead Revisited so it must be true.
Completely untrue.

Actually, I have yet to taste baked goods anywhere that are better than French ones.

Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
El Hombre Invisible said:
I noticed that too! It's like they make it sound so easy, so natural!

I'm not exactly a connesewar, but can anyone compare French whines to American whines?

ZapperZ said:
Actually this is one thing that the US is probably better at than every single other western country. The only one that even seems to compare is China.
You could do the same comparison with Italy, which in my opinion, has even better food in general than France
Yeah... well, I'll give italy pasta and pizza (which is sooo good).

Chi Meson said:
I'm not exactly a connesewar, but can anyone compare French whines to American whines?
Yeah, French make good "wine". Americans spell it "whine" and make it accordingly.

Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Smurf said:
Yeah, French make good "wine". Americans spell it "whine" and make it accordingly.
Wha-ho! Two-shay!

Chi Meson said:
Wha-ho! Two-shay!
:rofl: Yeah.. I couldn't resist.

Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Smurf said:
:rofl: Yeah.. I couldn't resist.
Well, veeve lu resistance, eh?

Evo
Mentor
My mother made home made french bread twice a week when I was growing up. :!!) Now, I buy the Italian bread from La Brea Bakery, it's heavenly.

I've also stopped being a wine snob and I now prefer some California wines.

brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Things I like about France:

The food. Especially around Provence, finding a small restaurant with one chef and a few simple ingredients is soooooo good. You can't get anything quite like it elsewhere.

The wine. It's not necessarily my favourite to drink, I much prefer South American, Australian and South African wines for flavour, but I love the way that they're so passionate about it, and that you don't have to buy a bottle, you can go to a vineyard village at any time of year and get a massive plastic 'milk tub' of wine for about 20 centimes. And it doesn't give you a headache.

The skiing. Who loves the Alps? We love the Alps!

The never-ending brotherly feud between the French and the English.

I'd mention the things I don't like about France too, but some wouldn't take enough salt with it so I'll bite my tongue...

brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
El Hombre said:
The French speak English better than the Americans, too!

:tongue: