Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

France vs South Korea

1. Jun 18, 2006 #1

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

France up 1-0 at the half. Henry finally gets on the goalscorers' table.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2006 #2
    I'm pretty sure that the second one was in.
  4. Jun 18, 2006 #3
    Yea I think the second one was in too. Can they review it after the game and decide that it was a goal that the ref didn't see or is it completely over if the ref doesn't see it?
  5. Jun 18, 2006 #4
    I'm wondering the same thing, but judging by the way the commentators are talking, I think the decision might be final.

Surprising results for Korea though.

Edit: I guess that they can only go back on card decisions and not on goals. Don't take my word though, I'm going by what some guy told me just now.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2006
  6. Jun 18, 2006 #5

How did South Korea pull off a draw? They were totally outclassed! :biggrin:

But still, God that was great :biggrin: :biggrin: - Imagine if France get knocked out of the group stages! Come on Togo :biggrin:

7. Jun 18, 2006 #6
    Why do I always get these damn scores off by one?
  8. Jun 19, 2006 #7
    France deserved 3-0 SK didnt have a sniff bar that one sloppy goal. Also the ball was over the line from the header. If France go out because of that it's a disgrace..
  9. Jun 19, 2006 #8
    The linesman usual has the final say over wether the ball crossed the line, unless the ref was standing in a better position which is fairly unusual. Of course the decision is final and based on that moment, to have a virtual goal on the table with no one knowing either way what happened would upset the match strategy. Do we play defensively because we have a goal or not? I don't think it would be a very good idea, to delay it.

I believe they have sugested a fourth linesman who watches a TV screen, but so far it has been dismissed, because it would slow down play. I tend to agree, it's not perfect but it never will be as long as human error is involved.
  10. Jun 19, 2006 #9
    Actually, they were toying with the idea of having some sort of chip in side the ball like a RID chip or something. They should have done this. Of course you cant have 'virtual goals' or somthing like this. The decision needs to be made on the spot, and there is nothing wrong with using a 4 official like in Rugby, it doesnt slow the game down so much, and we would have these dreadful mistakes...
  11. Jun 19, 2006 #10

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I haven't seen any replays from the side. It sure looked in from the replays I saw, but you can't really know unless you get a better angle. The linesman should have the best angle on the field.

In any event, France is horrible. In fact, this entire group is horrible. How do you wind up putting four lousy teams in one group?
  12. Jun 19, 2006 #11
    I thought France were good.. really good to begin with.. They completely dominated, it was one of the most 1 sided games I had seen for a while.. But then as per usual they mess it all up... Hope they go through anyway, they CAN do a lot better than this
  13. Jun 19, 2006 #12

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Unfortunately referees are fallible, and there are quite a number of famous referee failures, and questionable calls.

For the English, the most important is probaby the "Third Goal" which refers to the third goal scored by England in the 1966 that hit the post, bounced down, and then out of the goal. Whether the ball actually crossed the line completely is a subject of dispute. In Germany, goals that bounce off the bar, and then bounce out are called, "Wembely Goals".

In 1986, in the Semi-finals Argentina defeated England when the referee allowed a handball goal by Diego Maradonna to stand.
  14. Jun 19, 2006 #13

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

England-Argentina. Always something.

That game had Maradonna's Goal of the Century, as well. And the second best goal of the century, Owen's goal against Argentina, was overshadowed by a separate event in that game, too: Beckham's send-off.
  15. Jun 19, 2006 #14

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What, precisely, constitutes the 'goal of the century' is a matter of opinion:
    The most influential goal in Soccer this century is probably the game deciding goal scored by Helmut Rahn in the 84th minute of the 1954 world cup final, and the "Miracle of Bern" is a seminal event in the development of West Germany as a nation and as a soccer power.
  16. Jun 21, 2006 #15
    and that also would be a matter of opinion
  17. Jun 21, 2006 #16
    In my opinion Pele's goal in the 58 world cup final was the goal of the century. Was a truly fantastic goal scored by footballs greatest ever player.

Maradona's goal should have been stopped by one of the English players. May sound like cheating but they should have fouled him outside the box and given away a free kick rather than let him run at the defence like that.

Oh, and i have never heard of the 'miracle of bern'

But thinking about it, the fourth goal of the 1970 final scored by carlos alberto has got to be the greatest ever goal. It had everything.
  18. Jun 21, 2006 #17
    that important huh :)

Supposedly this goal reunited (bar the wall) germany post ww2 and helped them recover ecconmic stablity (blah blah blah:rolleyes:) . They got hammered by Hungary earlier on in the tournement, and somehow beat them in the final, it was dubed the 'miracal of bern'

Pele's goal was good, the goal itself wasnt so good, but the build up was. Maradona's goal was amazing, the fact of the matter was he wasnt stopped, and nobody was near him
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?