Franck - Hertz experiment

• I
  • Thread starter Pushoam
  • Start date
upload_2018-9-18_10-10-1.png

In the experiment, it is observed that the minimum value of anode current occurs periodically and its period multiplied with e is known as excitation potential energy.

I don't see the link between this periodicity and quantisation of energy levels of atom.
Could anyone please make this clear?

Attachments

Answers and Replies

View attachment 230823

In the experiment, it is observed that the minimum value of anode current occurs periodically and its period multiplied with e is known as excitation potential energy.

I don't see the link between this periodicity and quantisation of energy levels of atom.
Could anyone please make this clear?
From the wiki article.
It seems the periodicity is a resonance.When the KE is near a multiple of the 4.9eV energy then absorption is more likely.

They discovered that, when an electron collided with a mercury atom, it could lose only a specific quantity (4.9 electron volts) of its kinetic energy before flying away.[4] This energy loss corresponds to decelerating the electron from a speed of about 1.3 million meters per second to zero.[5] A faster electron does not decelerate completely after a collision, but loses precisely the same amount of its kinetic energy. Slower electrons merely bounce off mercury atoms without losing any significant speed or kinetic energy.