Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frechet distance between surfaces

1. Aug 2, 2008 #1
    I am wondering whether or not anybody has any ideas of how to visualize and calculate the Frechet distance between two surfaces, or the sets that they encompass.

Let M be an m-dimensional finitely triangulated manifold (with or without boundary). Let f1 and f2 be continuous maps M---->R^n, n>m≥0. The Frechet Distance between maps is defined as
    σ_F (f1,f2)=〖inf〗_(α,β) 〖max〗_xϵM∥[f1(α(x)) -f2(β(x))∥(Euclidean norm) where α,β are all the possible homeomorphisms (injective, bi-continuous) from M to M.

I'm particularly interested in calculating the Frechet Distance between two convex sets, one contained in the other. I'm wondering if ther'es a way to consider instead the Hausdorff distance between the surfaces, in which case the maximum epsilon of th epsilon-neighborhood of the outer surface would be the maximum distance from the surface to the center of mass of the set it bounds. I know there's a bound on the Frechet distance in two-space using the hausdorff distance, but it hasn't yet been extended to 3 space.

Thanks for any ideas or direction.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted