Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fred the baker is dead!

1. Dec 28, 2005 #1

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2005 #2
    That's sad :frown:

Does anyone remember that Dunkin' Doughnuts commercial with him figure-skating? It probably wasn't him doing the actual skating though.

4. Dec 28, 2005 #3
    lol it's not sad it's hilarious. he died from diabetes.

5. Dec 28, 2005 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I never knew he was called Fred, I will always think of him as "time to make the doughnuts". :frown:

6. Dec 28, 2005 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So, who's going to make the donuts now? :frown:

7. Dec 28, 2005 #6
    hopefully another diabetic

8. Dec 28, 2005 #7

Evo

Diabetes is such a horrible disease, seriously, don't make jokes about it. My mom has diabetes.

9. Dec 28, 2005 #8
    it is a horrible disease, but a controlable one. Glazed donuts can not be a part of a diabetics life.

10. Dec 28, 2005 #9

Evo

Well, not for long.

11. Dec 28, 2005 #10
    My Point Exactly!!

12. Dec 28, 2005 #11

Evo

Did you ever actually see him eat a donut? I don't think so!!!

13. Dec 28, 2005 #12
    It's ironic for the company that their product was poison for their spokesman.

14. Dec 29, 2005 #13

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I know a diabetic who loves glazed donuts and isn't ready to give them up too soon.. As most diabetics do today, he checks his own glucose level and knows from experience how much insulin to dialup on his injector.

15. Dec 29, 2005 #14
    I really don't understand how diabedes works. All that stuff outside the cranium is terra incognita to me.

16. Dec 29, 2005 #15
    and judging by your spelling of "diabedes" that stuff inside the cranium isn't exactly firm ground either.

17. Dec 29, 2005 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can't do that for long. I've known people who do that, and they're the ones who wind up blind with ulcers covering their legs and die young because even injecting insulin doesn't work after a while with that approach.

On the other hand, my grandfather had his pancreas removed due to cancer over 10 years ago, and for some reason, was never prescribed insulin until about a year ago (when he landed in the hospital with glucose levels through the roof). We're trying to figure out how he got away without insulin for so long. All I can figure is there was a little bit of pancreatic tissue left behind that produced enough insulin to keep him going along with his fairly low-sugar diet (my grandmother's cooking tastes awful because she hardly uses any sugar, or salt, or much of any seasoning, but it's probably what kept my grandfather healthy after the surgery), but couldn't sustain production indefinitely.

18. Dec 29, 2005 #17
    This would be funny if I'd misspelled "cranium", I suppose.

19. Dec 29, 2005 #18

JamesU

Gold Member

who died? I'v never heard of him

20. Dec 29, 2005 #19

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree, it's not a good approach. A radical change in diet is challenging from an emotional standpoint. I went through a similar experience awhile ago dealing with food allergies. So I know what the fellow is facing. I believe he is already experiencing secondary effects (reduced insulin production, neuropathy to extremities). He also became diabetic from surgical removal of portion of pancreas. If this person has enough fortitude, he should adjust his diet. I wonder how Fred handled it.

Your grandfather is lucky, having someone help change his diet. It sounds like he also has excellent emotional support. Knowing what not to eat is quite different from actually doing it. It takes a concerted effort and conditioning over time. The mind is being retrained after following a habit (diet) that was reinforced over years.

That's okay, a lot of folks can drive but don't care to know what's going on under the hood. If you're really curious about it, here is some info.

21. Dec 29, 2005 #20

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

An actor who became an icon for a donut & coffee company in U.S. through medium of television.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?