Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free abelian group proof help

1. Dec 25, 2006 #1
    I'm working on a proof for subgroups of free abelian groups and am having trouble with a step (I know other methods, but would like to try and make this one work if possible).

The basic idea is let G be a free abelian group with generators [itex](g_1...g_n)[/itex] and let H be a subgroup of G.

Assuming a suitable renumbering of the generators so that g1 does not have all zero coefficients in H, we can find a minimal coefficient of g1 in H (with respect to absolute value, and non-zero of course), and then it is easy to show that all other coefficient of g1 in H have to be multiples of this coefficient. Call it [itex]\alpha[/itex].

I realized that might not have been clear. What I mean is let:

[itex]h=a_1 g_1 +...+a_n g_n \in H[/itex]

then [itex]\alpha[/itex] is minimal of all a1 so that we know there is some element [itex]h_2[/itex] in H such that

[itex]h_2=\alpha g_1 +...+a_n g_n \in H[/itex]

And all other a1's in an arbitrary h are multiples of [itex]\alpha[/itex].

What I would like to do is show that [itex]\alpha g_1 \in H[/itex]

But maybe this isn't necessarily true? Or am I missing something simple to show this?
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hrm. I still don't understand exactly what you want to say. But maybe a bad example will be useful!

Consider the free abelian group on 2 generators, G = Z².

Let H = { (m, n) | m + n is even }

H is a subgroup of Z². The smallest scalar multiple of the generator (1, 0) that lies in H is 2(1, 0). Alas, 1(1, 0) + 1(0, 1) lies in H, and |1| < |2|.
  4. Dec 25, 2006 #3
    I guess I wasn't clear enough, sorry. However, even though you seem to have misunderstood what I meant your example does show why I was having trouble proving my result since it is apparently not true, so thanks.

I was looking for a simplification of a proof, but I guess that was wishful thinking.
  5. Dec 29, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

what are you trying to prove?
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
  6. Dec 30, 2006 #5
    I figured it out, but thanks anyway.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?