1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free abelian groups

1. Mar 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that [itex]\mathbb{Z}_{p^r}[p][/itex] is isomorphic to [itex]\mathbb{Z}_p[/itex] for any [itex]r \geq 1[/itex] and prime p.

[itex]\mathbb{Z}_{p^r}[p][/itex] is defined as the subgroup [itex]\{x \in \mathbb{Z}_{p^r} | px = 0 \}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't think I should need to use Sylow's Theorems for this since it is in a different section. I can only think of two elements in that subgroup p^{r-1} and 0 and am not really sure how to find the rest or figure out their subalgebra. Actually I guess I just need to prove that the group has p elements and then the only possibility will be Z_p. But how to do that?
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

First of all, they call the set a subgroup, and you should try to see why it is one. Assuming it is, you can't have found all the elements since what you have isn't a subgroup. What is the smallest subgroup containing those elements (also known as the subgroup generated by them)?
  4. Mar 5, 2008 #3
    Um--but how do I know that the subgroup generated by p^{r-1} is the same as [itex]\mathbb{Z}_{p^r}[p][/itex]?
  5. Mar 5, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

You don't, but now that you have the right number of elements, it suffices to prove there's nothing else.
  6. Mar 5, 2008 #5
    It is really easy to calculate the subgroup generated by p^{r-1}:

It is {0, p^{r-1},2p^{r-1},...,(p-1)p^{r-1}}.

Now I need to show that there are no other solutions to px = 0 (mod p^r). Seems like a number theory problem. That congruence implies x = 0 (mod p^{r-1}) and I just listed all the multiples of p^(r-1) that are less than p^r.
    Is that right?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?