1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free basis and basis?

1. May 9, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What are the differences between the two?

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2007 #2
    Do you mean ordered basis?

4. May 10, 2007 #3
    Don't think so.

5. May 10, 2007 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just surfing wiki, I get the impression that there is none. Do you have a reason to believe that there is a difference?

6. May 10, 2007 #5
    Yeah, looks the same to me. This is what I studied in my linear algebra course: there's something called a basis and then something called an ordered basis. A basis with an ordering of elements (somewhat like an indexing set that has been fixed which maps to elements of your basis) is called an ordered basis.

I think when you say free basis, you probably mean a basis without ordering...but thats just a wild guess. I haven't come across this term (free basis) in my reading of any standard textbook on Linear Algebra (cf Hoffman/Kunze).

7. May 10, 2007 #6
    I am talking about it in the sense of modules.

8. May 11, 2007 #7

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you look here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_module

they define a free module as a module having a free basis. But then they give the definition of a free basis and it is an exact analogy to what is simply called a 'basis' in linear algebra:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basis_(linear_algebra)#Definition

Another reason why I suspect that there is no difference btw the two is the following sentence in the article about modules:

"However, modules can be quite a bit more complicated than vector spaces; for instance, not all modules have a basis, and even those that do, free modules,[...] "

Last edited: May 11, 2007
  9. May 11, 2007 #8

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Vector spaces are modules for fields. All modules for fields are free, so in this case the two notions agree.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?