What mistake did I make in my free body diagram for this physics test question?

In summary: I mean, I could be missing something, but I don't see how that answer would be correct without any indication of the particle's motion or the direction of the magnetic field. It's possible that your teacher made a mistake in grading, so definitely bring it up with them tomorrow. In summary, the conversation revolves around a unit test on fields, in which the individual did well but lost marks on one question. They are seeking confirmation on what they did wrong, and upon further examination, realized that they assumed the particle was not moving. Another student provided an answer but it did not make sense to the individual. They will speak with their teacher for clarification.
evilgino
Hello all,

I just received back a unit test on fields that I wrote two or so months ago (teacher marks really slowly). I did pretty well on it. There is one question that I lost marks on. It isn't terribly difficult, but my teacher hasn't shown us the correct answers yet and I want to confirm what I did wrong.

http://yfrog.com/4vscan0030uj

that is the scan.

i put two Fq vectors towards the charged plates and gravity down. it was the last question on the test, so i thought the magnetic field was there just to throw us off and i neglected it (i had another reason to neglect it that i can't remember right now)

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, well what do you think you did wrong?

After looking at the question for a bit I realized that what made me not include the magnetic force on the fbd was because i think i am assuming that the particle is not moving, thus no magnetic force.

i think what i did wrong is related to the fact that i assumed the particle is not moving. we never dealt with charged plates of the same charge throughout the unit so i don't really know where the particle would move. my instinct and what i remember from this unit, tells me that the particle would move to the right since it is closer to the right and thus the force between them is greater. in that case Fm would be into the page?? how would i show that on the fbd?

Assuming both those plates carry the same charge, there shouldn't be any electromagnetic force on the particle if it is standing still. The opposite fields should cancel out.

However, you would want to show that these forces cancel in your FBD.

Mu naught said:
Assuming both those plates carry the same charge, there shouldn't be any electromagnetic force on the particle if it is standing still. The opposite fields should cancel out.

However, you would want to show that these forces cancel in your FBD.

yeah i had two equal length electric force vectors (one to either side of the particle, towards the plates) and a gravity down. from what you said it sounds like I am right.

my problem is understanding if the particle is standing still. how do we know if it stands still? i assumed this when i answered the question but i don't really remember if i had any reasoning to it when i did it :)

well according to another student this is the answer:

http://yfrog.com/j6phystestj" [Broken]

does that make sense?

Last edited by a moderator:
evilgino said:
well according to another student this is the answer:

http://yfrog.com/j6phystestj" [Broken]

does that make sense?
Honestly, no. I don't see how that could possibly be the answer, unless you've neglected to show us part of the question or something.

For one thing, there is no indication given that the particle is moving. So the natural assumption to make is that it is at rest in the reference frame of the diagram, although ideally the problem should say so explicitly. Also, even if the particle were moving, in order for the magnetic force to be pointing down, the magnetic field at that location would have to be horizontal: either left-right or in-out of the page (or some combination of those), since the magnetic force is always perpendicular to the magnetic field. I don't see how a north magnetic pole in that position could generate a horizontal magnetic field.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks a lot.
i guess i will speak with my teacher about it tomorrow to get an explanation. my answer was the same as the one shown, minus the magnetic force downwards. would that be right?

EDIT: i showed the entire question btw

evilgino said:
would that be right?
As far as I can tell, yeah.

What is a Free Body Diagram?

A Free Body Diagram (FBD) is a graphical representation of an object or a system of objects that shows all the external forces acting on the object(s). It is used to analyze the forces acting on an object and helps in solving problems related to motion and equilibrium.

How do you draw a Free Body Diagram?

To draw a Free Body Diagram, follow these steps:

1. Identify the object or system of objects that you want to draw the FBD for.
  2. Draw a dot or a box to represent the object.
  3. Label all the forces acting on the object with arrows pointing away from the object. Make sure to include the direction and magnitude of each force.
  4. If the object is on a surface, draw a normal force perpendicular to the surface and a frictional force parallel to the surface.
  5. Check if the FBD is complete and accurate before using it to solve problems.

What is the difference between a Free Body Diagram and a Vector Diagram?

A Free Body Diagram only shows the external forces acting on an object, while a Vector Diagram shows both the external and internal forces acting on an object. In a Free Body Diagram, the forces are represented by arrows, while in a Vector Diagram, the forces are represented by vectors with magnitude and direction.

How do you calculate the net force on an object using a Free Body Diagram?

To calculate the net force on an object, follow these steps:

1. Identify all the forces acting on the object and their respective magnitudes and directions.
  2. Choose a coordinate system and break down all the forces into their x and y components.
  3. Sum up all the x components and y components separately.
  4. Use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the net force, and use trigonometry to find its direction.

How are Free Body Diagrams used in real-life applications?

Free Body Diagrams are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as mechanics, physics, and aerospace. They are used to analyze the forces acting on an object and help in designing structures and machines. For example, engineers use FBDs to design bridges, buildings, and vehicles, while physicists use them to study the motion of objects and predict their behavior. They are also used in video game design and animation to create realistic movements of characters and objects.