1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free Body Diagram for Chains

1. Oct 19, 2004 #1
    hello. I need help drawing free body diagram for four links on a chain. The picture looks like this:

| <-thats a rope
    8 <-these are links; they should all be connected

heres a good picture of a chain:

the first link is connected by a rope, and i need to draw FBD for each links.
    For the first link, i have Tension force from the rope, Weight force, and Normal force from link two. Is this correct? how would you show all other weights pulling link 1 beyond the link 2? and is it even correct to call the force link two is applying to link 1 a normal force?
    help please. thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2004 #2
    help please T.T
  4. Oct 19, 2004 #3
    free body diagram

Each link of the rope is uder the influence of just three forces. Two normal forces - from the top link and the bottom link and one of gravity.

You need not consider the influence that links other than link 2 are applying on link 1. Because if there is such an influence, it is just through link 2 and no other direct influence.

rest is correct

5. Oct 19, 2004 #4
    thanks alot for the help :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?