1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free body Diagram Help

1. Nov 4, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hey guys. My Physics teacher gave us an assignment to make a Free Body Diagram poster. He didn't give us any specifics, just told us that we can do whatever we want. I'm a little confused as to what I should do and how to make one of these. Could you give me an example of a pretty simple FBD and how to make it?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2007 #2
    In a free body diagram, you want to specify one object and separate it from everything else, hence the name "free-body." It would be good to indicate any forces acting on that body. Typical forces are the normal force and the weight force. It's also good to specify a coordinate system in your diagram. For a visual you can look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_body_diagram
  4. Nov 4, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

5. Nov 4, 2007 #4
    Ok, but could you give me a real life situation that would be appropriate to make a FBD for?

Thanks for the help
  6. Nov 4, 2007 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Suppose you sit on a frictionless slide in a playground.
    Determine the forces applied on you [which can be used to predict your motion].

You might want to consider your preference of a steep slide vs. a not-so-steep slide.
    How would you analyze these choices?
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  7. Nov 4, 2007 #6
  8. Nov 4, 2007 #7
    Thanks for the examples!
  9. Nov 4, 2007 #8
    Are weight and gravity used interchangeably?
  10. Nov 4, 2007 #9
  11. Nov 4, 2007 #10
    Ok so how does this look?
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  12. Nov 4, 2007 #11
    how does what look?

13. Nov 4, 2007 #12
    Oh, it was working before. Let me rehost it.

14. Nov 4, 2007 #13
    can't see it ... way too small
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?