1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free body diagram help

1. Mar 6, 2013 #1
    A hand supports two books, ma and mb, with ma on top. The hand accelerates the books p and to the right, with a pushing force directed 64° above horizontal. Assuming the upper book does not slip, draw a free body diagram for each book.

My attempt:
    1NIx8Sk.png

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2013 #2
    Which book is on top? and it would help if you defined all of your variables that you have shown.

4. Mar 6, 2013 #3
    ma is on top
    R is the reaction force
    n is the normal force
    μn is friction
    mg is gravity
    |Fa| is the applied force

5. Mar 6, 2013 #4
    What force is friction opposing in order to keep it from slipping?

What is your normal force (or contact force)? Is it the same in this situation as it would be if the books were stationary?

6. Mar 6, 2013 #5
    I don't know that's the part I need help with

7. Mar 6, 2013 #6
    In this problem friction acts only in the x direction. What other forces do you have acting in x? What do you know about those forces if the book doesnt slip?

It might help to say that the reaction force is the force that the bottom book is pushing up on the top book. So the reaction force is actually the y component of your applied force!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted